Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddarko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2007
I've been using iTunes 12.6.5.3 on macOS Sierra so I can continue to download iOS apps and their updates to my computer. However, suddenly this week, iTunes stopped downloading app updates. The updates still show up the update section of iTunes but the updates don't clear/disappear after I click on the "Update All Apps" button. Same result if I click the Update botton in an individual app. The progress bar briefly pops up with the "Downloading App XXX..." message but the update doesn't download. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

I've just tested it and new apps don't download either.

Last edited:

thumbmaster

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2019
I can verify that this is happening on 2 of my Macs. One is running High Sierra, the other on El Capitan. Both have iTunes 12.6.5.3 and neither are downloading apps either via "update" or directly from the appstore. Very frustrating.

Jacho

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2020
Same here. My Mac is running High Sierra, iTunes 12.6.5.3
The german Apple support unfortunately has no idea why that happens. I think they can't even imagine, why I use this version of iTunes. Yes, it is frustrating.

dcmaccam

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2017
West Coast of Scotland
If I have updated the Apps via my phone and then backup using my iTunes version 12.6.5.3 what exactly gets backed up? I use encrypted backup option.

Are the Apps part of the backup or pulled from my iMac or re-downloaded from Apple server.

I don't use iCloud.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
Has any one tried going back to v12.5 ??
Apparently one can by backing up then deleting the iTunes folder in their music folder and moving the applicaiton to another location or compressing.
Need to fine a link for download though.

otetzone

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2019
Same issue here. Try to downgrade to 12.5 and then will report.
On Mavericks iTuness 11.4 can't logging to App Store at all, get -50 error.
Called Apple support, they're helpless. The only thing they can offer is to update to the latest. What a joke.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
The download feature is no longer offered w/ any version of 12.x (I tried several).

I too could not log in with v11.x

Archived apps on your Mac can still be transferred from device to device w/ the 12.5 and older versions.
It appears that Apple does not want users to download NEW apps to their Mac then install on their different devices.

Note that also iTunes is no longer offered on the latest OSX versions.

This along with glued in MacBook batteries, soldered in Mac Ram and Hard Drives - is making their products have less appeal to 'Geeks'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.