Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
I just updated to iTunes 12.0.0.140. Now from the Mini-player in the bottom-left corner where there used to be a button (looked like the outline of a rectangle) to expand the window (like cmd-0), now the button represents a down arrow. Clicking it apparently does exactly the same thing as clicking on the album cover next just to the right...

Why would Apple replace the only button that expanded the Mini-player, which was useful, with a redundant action?

zaneliu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2013
Berkeley
I just updated to iTunes 12.0.0.140. Now from the Mini-player in the bottom-left corner where there used to be a button (looked like the outline of a rectangle) to expand the window (like cmd-0), now the button represents a down arrow. Clicking it apparently does exactly the same thing as clicking on the album cover next just to the right...

Why would Apple replace the only button that expanded the Mini-player, which was useful, with a redundant action?

wow I just realized that. i don't like this. Makes it so much harder now to switch between modes

VKondakoff

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
You can expand the mini-player by clicking on the round 'close' button in the upper left corner of the mini-player window.

Biedz1216

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2014

if you hover over that button it tells you what it changed to "hide large art work" "show large art work" so idk I'm confident everyone will close the mini player and upon closing it learn oh cool thats how to expand it you just close it now. I love it so much easier just close it when you don't need it iTunes pops back up boom.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
You can expand the mini-player by clicking on the round 'close' button in the upper left corner of the mini-player window.
Thanks, I agree it's not intuitive but at least it works. Now going back to the Mini-player from the main window is an issue. With the old down arrow button, it would leave the Mini-player open so that when you were done with the main window you could close it and still have the Mini-player. Now "x" closes the Mini-player, it looks like you have to remember a key combo or use the Window menu to reopen it. I don't see a button to restore the Mini-player from the main iTunes window. They also keep changing this.

Biedz1216

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2014
Thanks, I agree it's not intuitive but at least it works. Now going back to the Mini-player from the main window is an issue. With the old down arrow button, it would leave the Mini-player open so that when you were done with the main window you could close it and still have the Mini-player. Now "x" closes the Mini-player, it looks like you have to remember a key combo or use the Window menu to reopen it. I don't see a button to restore the Mini-player from the main iTunes window. They also keep changing this.

I don't understand there's still a rectangle on the main window of iTunes on the cover art where the track is playing to click to get to The mini player

Webmason

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
The issue with this already annoying solution they have concocted is that I literally have to adjust the size of the mini player window EVERY TIME to get the little x to show to expand the window. This is so stupid I can't believe it. I'm a super long time Apple user but Apple is losing me fast, and not just because of this...

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
The issue with this already annoying solution they have concocted is that I literally have to adjust the size of the mini player window EVERY TIME to get the little x to show to expand the window. This is so stupid I can't believe it. I'm a super long time Apple user but Apple is losing me fast, and not just because of this...

With that last update it's gotten so unusable I'm probably going to finally ditch iTunes as my media player & manager moving forward.

...a curiosity arrived in my office. An iMac with snow leopard on it. Blew it away, installed SL fresh, held off on the screwed up final SL update, and tried it out. The system operates as fast with its stock OS as our modern machines do with modern OSs. Opened iTunes... Simple, straightforward, clean, fast, well organized, efficient design. It even plays files in several formats. It works, is reliable, and looks beautiful and functionality is self-evident.

Relative to that, it's been a continuous downward slide ever since. I don't know how bad they plan to let things get, but if it takes new leadership, then so be it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.