Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One reader notes that iTunes 4.8 already seems to have localization for Motorola's iTunes compatible phone.

iTunes.app -> Contents -> Resources -> English.lproj -> Localized.rsrc contains the "Eject Phone" phrase as well as later references to "Phone".

Motorola's iTunes compatible phone has been long awaited, with a number of delays reported. Last comments from Motorola claimed that it would be coming in "a couple of months" from May.

It appears iTunes may already provide support for the phone.

SpamJunkie

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2003
What about other phones, besides the Motorola? iTunes supports non-iPod mp3 players, so it follows that it could (should?) support non-Motorola phones. Although, just like non-iPod mp3 players, these phones wouldn't support protected AACs from the iTMS.

I've got a k750i and I'd certainly appreciate an easy way to put mp3s, AAC on there, as well as sync more easily that the new iSync.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
poundsmack said:
this is interesting. i have a funny feeling this phone may be the WWDC highlight.
Only, i think, if Apple have also created a whole phone OS and given developers a new platform to develop for. And I can't imagine them doing that without first opening the iPod OS. Otherwise, its a nice gadget, but hardly WWDC material.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
mvc said:
Only, i think, if Apple have also created a whole phone OS and given developers a new platform to develop for. And I can't imagine them doing that without first opening the iPod OS. Otherwise, its a nice gadget, but hardly WWDC material.
Well I believed they mention the iTunes phone at MWSF so I would imagine they would talk about it again, especially since Jobs may want to be the one to introduce it. I don't think it will be the highlight of WWDC though, something bigger for that, at least I hope so.

Neerazan

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2005
London, UK
Total specualtion, but I have an idea as to where this might be headed (other than one Motorola phone)

iTunes for Symbian OS

pjtro2

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
That would make total sense as to why they've shifted sync-ing ical and address book to itunes - so itunes can be one-stop for updating these features on the new phones... nice work apple - just show us the goddamn phone!!

I'm praying it will have a similar aesthetic to my Sony Ericcsson T630 (but glossier!) :D :D :D

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Neerazan said:
Total specualtion, but I have an idea as to where this might be headed (other than one Motorola phone)

iTunes for Symbian OS

Nokia, which is pretty much Symbian installs Real Player. While other companies can make their own design, Nokia does license reference designs that other companies do use. Apple would need to win over Nokia to get iTunes on the phones.

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
mvc said:

The iPod OS is already open - just not by Apple. It has been successfully reverse engineered for iPodLinux that can play almost 20 games - including Tetris and still play Mp3's + add support for FLAC and OGG. Coolest thing is - it's now dual boot - so you can have the iPod OS or Linux.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Lanbrown said:
Nokia, which is pretty much Symbian installs Real Player. While other companies can make their own design, Nokia does license reference designs that other companies do use. Apple would need to win over Nokia to get iTunes on the phones.
But Symbian is an open OS. IIRC, anybody can write software for Symbian phones. So Apple could write an iTunes client and make it available as a free download. No need to get Nokia to do anything.

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
jesuisme said:
Imagine... A Razr V3 with iTunes...This would be too much to hope for, but one can dream :D
I hope existing Razr V3s will be upgradable, because i just got one.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
shamino said:
But Symbian is an open OS. IIRC, anybody can write software for Symbian phones. So Apple could write an iTunes client and make it available as a free download. No need to get Nokia to do anything.

Yes, but getting Nokia to include it would pretty much mean that iTunes would be on over 75% of the Symbian phones from the factory. Most likely the carriers would ask for it not to be on there though and it would get cut. But, having Nokia support it would be similar to HP installing iTunes.

The other issue is that there are several Symbian platforms. Nokia has the Series 40, 60 and 80, each one has different capabilities and the programs are coded as such.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Lanbrown said:
The other issue is that there are several Symbian platforms. Nokia has the Series 40, 60 and 80, each one has different capabilities and the programs are coded as such.

Series 40 isn't Symbian based. It's the old Nokia software.

And let's not forget Sony Ericsson, Motorola (not the RAZR though, just in their A1000 and similar phones) and Sendo who also use SymbianOS. v7 in the case of SE with it's UIQ interface (much nicer than Series 60 or 80). I think Moto also uses UIQ but Sendo went for Series60 and added their own front screen application as the Nokia interface sucks.

None of them are very good though. I fail to see how anyone could like the non-Symbian Motorola software. Phone software really needs the Apple usability wand waved over it, though not by the Finder team. ;-)

locomacg6

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2005
Bluetooth Headphones :p

Maybe bluetooth headphones for the new phone.......itunes + bluetooth = a Lot of fun..

we will see.... ;)

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Checked it out, looks like they went a little further:
Code:
because all of its space has been reserved for data.iPodiPodphonePhoneUpdating contacts on

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.