Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Hi

just curious if anywhere (Apple Stores/o2/CPW) there has been iPhone activation in store apart from just signing the contract in store. Meaning plugging the iPhone into a computer and loading iTunes up etc etc.

thanks

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Yes. Apple Store, Trafford.

Yesterday I bagged a white iPhone 3G.
I was handed the box to open myself (thought that was a nice touch) -

... and then the Apple rep plugged it into a store iMac, and activated the phone.

It seemed an error message displayed for a second, and then quickly rectified itself to say the phone was activated successfully.
The rep didn't flinch, so, I gathered, it must be normal.

The phone is functioning perfectly! :cool:

First-time iPhone owner here, and I'm one happy happy customer.

R-Fly

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
and when you plugged it into your home mac how did it behave? did u have to restore iphone?

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
and when you plugged it into your home mac how did it behave? did u have to restore iphone?

When plugged into my iMac & itunes, I had signal from O2 on both EDGE and 3G (full 5 bars), and it started syncing my content! :cool:

&

No, not at first, but If you do get one, I suggest it.

The iPhone 3G comes with a earlier firmware (5A345), rather than the officially released GM version (5A347).

The firmware when vanilla from the store, was buggy.
Restoring helped.

I was not forced to restore, I chose to, to improve performance :).

Sitting here after the restore, some keyboard and lagging issues are still there, but it's much more responsive.

R-Fly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.