Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acarroll123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2022
Is there an alternative software (hopefully better) to iTunes that will run on Macmini OS 10.13.6? I have tried Musique, VOX, and others, but none seem to work as well iTunes. I want to try jriver for mac, but. . .

Any suggestions or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

acarroll123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2022
Thank you for responding. It's to manage my own personal/ripped and downloaded library.

Thanks for the list and links, and please feel free to keep in touch if you come across anything else.

Alfred

acarroll123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2022
P.S. I am willing to purchase the software, but am trying to find something equivalent to or better than iTunes. I appreciate how iTunes cataloged and maintained playlist for music.

Thanks again,

Alfred

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
On macOS 10.13.6 you can continue to use iTunes.
iTunes 12.8.3.1 is the last version available for download
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1977
direct link https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/i...-6B0A-46EC-B399-5A381183E3BE/iTunes12.8.3.dmg

If you like the iTunes way, you could give Strawberry a try. https://www.strawberrymusicplayer.org/#screenshot
It’s free, but it’s no longer updated for High Sierra. I think the last version is Strawberry 0.8.4 https://github.com/strawberrymusicplayer/strawberry/releases/tag/0.8.4
direct link
https://github.com/strawberrymusicplayer/strawberry/releases/download/0.8.4/strawberry-0.8.4-highsierra.dmg

acarroll123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2022
Thanks for all the help. I will check out both suggestions and let you know how it goes.

Alfred

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
You seem quite pleased with iTunes and haven't stated why exactly you want to move away from it.
That should help recommend an alternative - or a solution within iTunes.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
I had issues with iTunes ever since version 10, and found the perfect alternative in... iTunes 9. You can edit the version reported to the OS in the version.plist file and it will open fine even in Mojave.

acarroll123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2022
Problems with version 12.8.3 iTunes on my MacMini OS 10.13.6. I've increased the memory to 16gb and reset the system, cleared the cache, etc. All connections and increased memory show operating optimally. iTunes now seems to be running slower than it previously did. I've attached two external drives (1 primary, and 1 backup) that contain 1,200 plus music-only CDs. Currently, all artwork and liner notes are contained in a separate folder on the MacMini itself. Previously, the artwork would connect with the music on the hard drives. Now the artwork does not always connect with the music contained on the external hard drives. Whenever I attempt to load/rip new CDs now, the artwork does not appear. Checked the ethernet/internet connections, and the MacMini is properly connected to the internet. Also, when attempting to import new CD music, it skips over some of the tunes randomly. The CDS will play fine, but importing seems to be a problem. Can no longer put together any new playlists. Now when attempting to play music from the existing playlists, some songs skip - from both drives, and not always the same tunes.
I will completely delete the current version of iTunes, and download version 12.8.3.1 as referenced by bogdawn. And if that does not work will let you know. Will appreciate continued suggestions.
HAPPY NEW YEAR to all, and thanks for all your recommendations.

acarroll123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2022
I downloaded iTunes 12.8.3.1 as recommended by "bogdanw", and all seems to be going OK. I disconnected the backup (2) drive and worked with the primary external hard drive. The only issue when I did this is that some of the songs indicated "(!)" that something was wrong. I went through each album and reloaded the songs as indicated - a tedious and time-consuming process to correct all music connected to its album cover/artwork.
The issue now is that if an album "features" an additional musician, the cover "duplicates" itself. (I attempted to attach an example via screenshot as an example of the duplicated album covers/artwork, but received an error message). Example: MJQ and Friends: 40th Anniversary" CD. The cover artwork appears several times, and each one of the covers is highlighted, and shows the "featured" guest artist's name in the text that appears with MJQ. All CD artwork is the same.
Any suggestions - again - would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to all who made previous suggestions.

acarroll123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2022
Thanks for providing the link to Dougscripts.com. Went to the site and after searching decided to send an email detailing the issue I was trying to resolve: (Thanks for Doug's Script site. I've been looking to purchase software for a MAC OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra) with iTunes Version 12.8.3.1. I've been looking for software that will "fix" the multiple album cover/artwork images. The problem is an album/cd by a particular artist (ex: Ray Fuller), and that artist features, and lists, another or sevral other artist (ex: Boney James, Paul brown, etc.), and the cover is "duplicated" and list the song separately for each featured artist. Does Doug's Scripts offer a software that will combine/fix/correct the additional album cover issue. (i.e., showing only one cover that when clicked on will show the songs with the "featured artist" name next to the song in the playlist (under the cover artwork).
Was wondering if this: https://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=reembedartwork, is the solution I was looking for.
I have gone through all of my iTunes library and made all corrections to artwork, and details, and it is compiled on one external hard drive. My followup question is what is the best and safest method/way to "clone" the primary drive? And I know that I should have a backup of the primary drive, the first time I did that some of the albums got "split" (some of the songs on the "Primary" (main) drive and some on the "Backup" (secondary) drive.
Sorry to be such a bother, but this was the initial question (Is there an alternative software (hopefully better) to iTunes that will run on Macmini OS 10.13.6?) I started with.
Thanks again for all of your time, consideration and responses.

acarroll123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2022
Oh well. . . No news on how to combine "featuring. . ." under the primary artist or album cover title. I did everything and am pleased with the final outcome. But now a new issue: Is there a way to eliminate "!" (exclamation - do you want iTunes to locate this song?") next to multiple albums/songs without going to each individual song to find the location?
I tried this:
FindTracksA script that attempts to locate missing tracks that have been misplaced within your library, either as a result of a third party program reorganising the media or as a result of attempting to move the library/media to a new location. Enter the location of the media folder the files should be in and the script will try to systematically fix every broken link by predicting the path the file should be at and fuzzy matching on file and folder names.
but it didn't work.
Thanks for all responses.

acarroll123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2022
Forgot to attach a screen shot of the iTunes views of the situation.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 1.33.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-25 at 1.33.16 PM.png
    332.8 KB · Views: 57
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.