Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Hi Guys,

I need some advice please on iTunes storage on my Mac Pro.

I have the following setup:

Mac HD drive of 600gb (this is the standard HD that came with the Mac) - this stores all my applications, Photos file and iTunes file.

Additional Internal Drive 1 of 1tb - this stores all my documents and video projects

Additional Internal Drive 2 of 1tb - this also stores documents and some video projects.

Problem is, my Mac HD is now almost full due to very large Photos and iTunes files. Can I move the Photos and iTunes files to either of the additional HD's and continue to store photos and music on there? I really don't want to have additional iTunes and Photos files if possible.

Thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
It's EASY to move the libraries for Photos and iTunes.

Photos:
Locate the Photos library icon -- it's in your home/pictures folder.

BE AWARE that this is not "a file", but rather a folder that holds LOTS of items. You can see them by RIGHT-clicking on the Photos icon and choosing "show package contents". DON'T change anything there, just look.

Just copy the Photos library to an external drive.

Now, you have to direct Photos to use the relocated library by doing this:
(assuming the Photos icon is in your dock)
Hold down the option key and click the Photos icon in the dock.
A dialog will open something like this:
Screen Shot 2022-04-02 at 10.43.14 AM.jpg

Click "choose library" and now "point the way" to the relocated library.
Now Photos will open this library each time.

iTunes:
This works pretty much the same way, you need to copy the "iTunes Folder" (in home/music) to the external drive you're going to use.
Then (again) hold down the option key while you click on iTunes icon in the dock.
A similar dialog will open, select "choose library" and again re-direct iTunes to the new iTunes folder.

Once everything is up-and-running as you like, you can delete the original folders in the home folder on your internal drive.

WARNING!
Since you have moved stuff to external drives, you must now BACK UP these drives as well as your internal drive.
Otherwise, your data is in danger.

I recommend either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper for "duping" the contents of an external data drive to a backup. Do this, and the backup will be an EXACT copy of the original...

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Thank you so much Fisherrman. That's brilliant. I'll give this a try when I have time and some peace and quiet from the kids. Don't fancy messing this up.

And rather than back up the drives, can I simply back up the files themselves to either a save external drive or on the Cloud? I have 2 external backup drives, all of which currently contain my iTunes, Photos and other document files. So my plan would be to:

- back up the iTunes and photos library files to another external drive that is not in my Mac Pro tower.

- Then do what you've advised above and move the iTunes and Photos libraries to my additional internal drive 1 (which is inside my Mac Pro tower.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
fisherrman I finally done this and it all went well. Thank you for the instructions :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.