Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015
Hello,

Does a itunes backup also backup my whatsap conversations and media?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Also the media in the conversations?
Even when the option is on to " icloud whatsapp"?
Yes, iTunes backup (if encrypted) makes a completely clone copy of your device. The only things that will be lost are Credit Cards and Touch ID finger prints (again, assuming its encrypted). All app data will remain in check. The iCloud restore option on WhatsApp is just another safety net.

Reactions: Hot12345

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015
Yes, iTunes backup (if encrypted) makes a completely clone copy of your device. The only things that will be lost are Credit Cards and Touch ID finger prints (again, assuming its encrypted). All app data will remain in check. The iCloud restore option on WhatsApp is just another safety net.

So If I check the encryption button on before i make a Itunes backup, it will make a backup of the whatsapp conversation AND ALSO the media in the app/conversation?

What if I dont check the " encryption " button and then make a backup?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
So If I check the encryption button on before i make a Itunes backup, it will make a backup of the whatsapp conversation AND ALSO the media in the app/conversation?

What if I dont check the " encryption " button and then make a backup?

App data is still included without encryption. Encryption is there for health and activity data, but also to secure your backup all together. That way is someone has access to your computer they couldn't copy your backup onto their device.

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015
App data is still included without encryption. Encryption is there for health and activity data, but also to secure your backup all together. That way is someone has access to your computer they couldn't copy your backup onto their device.

Thank you for your reply. But does itunes backup also backup the media like pictures in the whatsapp conversation?

Even when the whatsapp icloud function is on?

Reactions: Mlrollin91

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Thank you for your reply. But does itunes backup also backup the media like pictures in the whatsapp conversation?

Even when the whatsapp icloud function is on?

Again, yes. All app data is backed up. If the data is in the app, then it is backed up. iCloud is just an added safety-net. With iCloud backup for WhatsApp you can restore it to another device without having to do a whole iTunes restore. For example, I have WhatsApp on my iPhone. I then want it on my iPad but I want all previous conversations to be there after I install the app on my iPad. I would use the in-app backup feature to restore that content.

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015
Again, yes. All app data is backed up. If the data is in the app, then it is backed up. iCloud is just an added safety-net. With iCloud backup for WhatsApp you can restore it to another device without having to do a whole iTunes restore. For example, I have WhatsApp on my iPhone. I then want it on my iPad but I want all previous conversations to be there after I install the app on my iPad. I would use the in-app backup feature to restore that content.

Great then, I was worried if the icloud settings was on FOR whatsapp, then itunesbackup will not be triggerd for whatsapp(inc. Pictures),

Its difficult to say because you can't look at the inside of the itunesbackup what you really backupt.

How can you perform a good restore of your backup? What is the best way to do this?

If you have a new phone for example? Setup as " clean " devics after you proceed put in itunes and restore backup? Or on a other way

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Great then, I was worried if the icloud settings was on FOR whatsapp, then itunesbackup will not be triggerd for whatsapp(inc. Pictures),

Its difficult to say because you can't look at the inside of the itunesbackup what you really backupt.

How can you perform a good restore of your backup? What is the best way to do this?

If you have a new phone for example? Setup as " clean " devics after you proceed put in itunes and restore backup? Or on a other way

When I know I am going to use a backup to restore a new phone, or even when restoring my current phone, I will restore it then go through the onscreen directions. One screen will ask you, "Do you want to restore previous data?" You have the option as set up as new, iCloud restore, iTunes restore or transfer from android. Click the iTunes one, plug it into iTunes and do the rest on your computer. iTunes is the fastest because it doesn't have to redownload all your data.

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015
When I know I am going to use a backup to restore a new phone, or even when restoring my current phone, I will restore it then go through the onscreen directions. One screen will ask you, "Do you want to restore previous data?" You have the option as set up as new, iCloud restore, iTunes restore or transfer from android. Click the iTunes one, plug it into iTunes and do the rest on your computer. iTunes is the fastest because it doesn't have to redownload all your data.

Thanks, this is only if you have a clean wipe of you phone, after new fresh start this message choises wil prompt indeed.

What about if you have already installed some apps and youre then those menu?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Thanks, this is only if you have a clean wipe of you phone, after new fresh start this message choises wil prompt indeed.

What about if you have already installed some apps and youre then those menu?

You cannot access the option to restore data once the phone has been set up. You can go and manually restore an iTunes backup, but that just leaves room for corruption. The only time you should restore data is when setting the phone up for the first time. I have had many problems setting up the phone then adding my iTunes restore on top of that. It mixes current data with old data.

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015
You cannot access the option to restore data once the phone has been set up. You can go and manually restore an iTunes backup, but that just leaves room for corruption. The only time you should restore data is when setting the phone up for the first time. I have had many problems setting up the phone then adding my iTunes restore on top of that. It mixes current data with old data.

Aaaaaah yeah me to long time ago, thats why I dont use it any more, so this make sense. Good that mention that its the best way when you FIRST a clean wipe / or a new phone then chooise the option to restore from itunes.

Thanks man, this is so clear to me and hope for others to, because I got so many corruption like you saying,

Much love for you

aibrahim1977

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
Hello,

When I restored my backup from iTunes all whatsapp photos were blank!! Is there a reason for that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.