Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
I understand the purpose of the iTunes local backup of apps is incase the app is deleted from the App Store it can still be reloaded on the phone.

I really only care about this function for purchased apps, which at this point I have none. It's also taking up several gigs on my drive...

I am also using iCloud and Photo Stream to sync my pictures and data. I really only want to use iTunes sync to manage my music.

How to I correctly setup iTunes, iCloud and iPhone to operate in this manner?

Thanks!

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Well in iTunes, deselect whatever you don't want and only select the music folder you want to sync. Keep in mind that Photo Stream only keeps 30 days in the cloud (or 1000 pics) so you need those backed up elsewhere. Don't count on the PhotoStream cloud as the backup for them. You can either setup the PC to receive PhotoStream pics or select pictures to sync with iTunes sync. The iTunes backup will backup everything and you cannot really select what you want or don't want so sync may be the better option for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.