Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hkriffraff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
- Before when I downloaded mp3 files with a file sharing app, they would automatically show up in my itunes library. Now it doesn't seem to happen anymore and I can't find any preference setting related to this. Why has it changed?

- How can I import AIFF files in MP3 format? I have tried changing the encoder setting in preferences, but why are my files are still not selectable in the "Add to Library" finder?

- As a matter of general practice, should I delete all my source music files after they have been imported into the iTunes folder structure to save space? Is there a convenient way to have all the files in iTunes folders revert back to being in the same folder?

- Is it possible to add other radio statios to the list?

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Question 1: Not sure how they automatically showed up in iTunes... But that's a neat trick, especially from another app. If you set iTunes as the default player for the downloaded mp3 files, then that would probably work. It's not a setting within iTunes. Since I don't use file sharing apps, I can't be more specific.

Question 2: If you drag the AIFF files into your library, select them, and then use the Advanced -> Convert Selection to MP3 menu that will work. Then you can manually delete the AIFF files from your library and your drive.

Question 3: This depends on your source material. If you have ripped CDs to AIFF and you're converting those and you still have the CDs, I would say you could erase them. If they are AIFF files that you got elsewhere, I would make a backup of them. Of course, this depends on your drive space. I usually don't keep source material around. As for reverting the library, I'm not sure how easily it undoes itself when you uncheck the option to keep the library organized.

Question 4: As long as the radio stream is iTunes compatible (I'm not sure which kinds iTunes uses...) the stream will remain in your Radio playlist until you delete it.

cpjakes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.