Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Has anyone used the
iTunes Device support update yet?
It was out this week but I fear possible grim consequences :confused:
I DO NOT want to use iTunes past 12.6.3 and I'm afraid this update could ruin or update my iTunes 12.6.3 to a newer version where I will not be able to control apps download etc.
Please post your experience , thanks

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
iTunes 12.6.5.3 here on Sierra, after updating iTunes Device Support Update no problem whatsoever. I'm still syncing my apps into my iPhone 6 (2014) and iPad 6th gen (2018) everyday.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
iTunes 12.6.5.3 here on Sierra, after updating iTunes Device Support Update no problem whatsoever. I'm still syncing my apps into my iPhone 6 (2014) and iPad 6th gen (2018) everyday.
Thanks for the update: I did it too and High Sierra didn't change my iTunes 12.6.5.3. Instead Mojave on an another computer did update iTunes as well , even if I unchecked iTunes Device support update.
Guessing that something could happens I already had my good copy of iTunes 12.6.5.3 duplicated and that one still work the way I want it!

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Instead Mojave on an another computer did update iTunes as well , even if I unchecked iTunes Device support update.
Since every installation of Mojave by default updates iTunes, that is probably a risk with every Mojave update and a manual restore of a copy of iTunes 12.6.5.3 as you referred to below can be necessary.
Guessing that something could happens I already had my good copy of iTunes 12.6.5.3 duplicated and that one still work the way I want it!
[doublepost=1558428951][/doublepost]
Ditto for me (well, except I'm on High Sierra).

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
This update just installs new versions of the MobileDevice, DeviceLink, and AirTrafficHost private system frameworks, which presumably have more to do with how a Mac recognizes and communicates with devices, rather than what it sends back and forth. It doesn't touch iTunes or its frameworks.

If it did, then maybe iTunes 12.6.5.3 would have been given the resource to display a pretty XS icon when it's connected, instead of a blank space, but that's just a cosmetic issue.

I haven't had any issues since installing it and using it on El Cap. I suspect things would also be fine with my OG iPod or touch 2G if I dug them out (as well as Firewire/30-pin cables) of the drawer.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
This update just installs new versions of the MobileDevice, DeviceLink, and AirTrafficHost private system frameworks, which presumably have more to do with how a Mac recognizes and communicates with devices, rather than what it sends back and forth. It doesn't touch iTunes or its frameworks.

If it did, then maybe iTunes 12.6.5.3 would have been given the resource to display a pretty XS icon when it's connected, instead of a blank space, but that's just a cosmetic issue.

I haven't had any issues since installing it and using it on El Cap. I suspect things would also be fine with my OG iPod or touch 2G if I dug them out (as well as Firewire/30-pin cables) of the drawer.

Thanks for giving more details! It's just Mojave that updated my iTunes (luckily I always have a copy ready in Applications) so that the update can mess it up with the first iTunes but never with the iTunes copy :p
High Sierra didn't like you wrote
The only thing to be aware is not to launch the updated iTunes because it will mess up all prefs and library
[doublepost=1558560941][/doublepost]
Does the latest iterations of iPhone still work with iTunes 12.6.5...?

Yes, so far , great

ScottyTheMenace

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2013
Since I exclusively listen to music ripped from my CD collection, I'm very wary of iTunes updates. I'm in continual fear that Apple will jettison the features that support that to continue pushing people to their rent-a-song service.

These are essential iTunes features for me. If any of these were to go away I'd have a much poorer experience listening to my collection:
  • Ripping CDs — I don't do rented digital music (though I very occasionally buy single songs from Amazon, not iTunes)
  • Smart playlists — almost the only way I listen to my collection
  • Star ratings of songs — essential for building my smart playlists (and since album ratings and song ratings are useless together, I only use song ratings)
  • The Grouping metadata field — also essential for building my smart playlists

I don't recall ever seeing "iTunes Device Support Update" before (probably just wasn't paying attention) so I'm wary of running this update. Apple's traditionally woeful release notes offer no comfort with the plain vanilla description “ensures proper updating and restoring for iOS devices using iTunes for Mac.” Great.

Anyone see any functional changes to iTunes 12.8 in High Sierra after this Device Support Update, especially to the features above? Or is it like @TheIntruder says and it just replaces those three files?

Reactions: sracer

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I saw this update a while ago and tried to update it. But it did not update. After going to Mojave and returning to high Sierra, that update is gone.
For me, as soon as the iTunes 12.6.5 works with iPhone XS Max and iPad Pro 2018, I am happy about it and don’t mind missing icons.

Black Baron

Suspended
Nov 8, 2020
Germany
Since I exclusively listen to music ripped from my CD collection, I'm very wary of iTunes updates. I'm in continual fear that Apple will jettison the features that support that to continue pushing people to their rent-a-song service.

These are essential iTunes features for me. If any of these were to go away I'd have a much poorer experience listening to my collection:
  • Ripping CDs — I don't do rented digital music (though I very occasionally buy single songs from Amazon, not iTunes)
  • Smart playlists — almost the only way I listen to my collection
  • Star ratings of songs — essential for building my smart playlists (and since album ratings and song ratings are useless together, I only use song ratings)
  • The Grouping metadata field — also essential for building my smart playlists

I don't recall ever seeing "iTunes Device Support Update" before (probably just wasn't paying attention) so I'm wary of running this update. Apple's traditionally woeful release notes offer no comfort with the plain vanilla description “ensures proper updating and restoring for iOS devices using iTunes for Mac.” Great.

Anyone see any functional changes to iTunes 12.8 in High Sierra after this Device Support Update, especially to the features above? Or is it like @TheIntruder says and it just replaces those three files?

Why does a system claim two updates even though I have already installed a Device Support Update. I want to connect the USB device and iTunes claims another software update.

Time for a 10.13.7 Update with all bug fixes and a final installer.

1. App Store

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 16.09.44.png

2. iTunes

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 16.09.05.png

Regards,

BLACK BARON
Design / Photo / Art / Music

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.