Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Just thought I would post a message about a strange error I was getting and how I solved it in case it helps anybody in future. There doesn't seem to be a lot of posts about the 206 error on the web.

macOS 10.12.3
iTunes 12.5.5.5

I am subscribed to iTunes Match (not Music). I have an iMac and MacBook.

Normally I keep my music on my iMac but I recently decided to download a copy to my MacBook too. I used the Match service to quickly download all my songs. All the Matched songs downloaded okay. Some (but not all) of my uploaded songs refused to download, iTunes on my MacBook kept spitting out a 206 error. I had physical copies of the songs on my iMac. Bizarrely if I moved the physical copies to my MacBook, deleted them from my iMac and added them to the iTunes Library on my MacBook then my iMac would produce the 206 error.

To solve the problem I had to add the songs to both my libraries at the same time. iTunes then went through it's normal process (in this case uploading the songs because they don't match), iTunes iCloud Status showed on both devices as Uploaded with physical copies on each machine. They did not show as duplicates.

Reactions: keysofanxiety
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.