Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bball2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2010
Just thought I would throw this weird bug that had been plaguing me for the past few days which I finally got solved a little while ago.

Had an issue where iTunes was extremely slow to startup and constant sync issues. Normal startup is less than 1 second, but it was taking longer than a min, and would crash constantly (would have to end the process every time). Also couldn't sync any of my mobile devices (iPhone / iPad - would be stuck on backup or sync for hours; left overnight and got nowhere). Also wouldn't recognize the device again without restarting the computer.

After like the 10th reboot in a matter of hours trying to get it to work I noticed that if I immediately opened up iTunes right as the desktop showed up it would open instantly, but after a min or two of waiting, it would go back to the crazy slowness. So I thought it might've been another program conflict. Went through each of the programs using task manager and closed it and see if iTunes would load up any faster; turns out it was an outdated Private Internet Access VPN app (V.55). The effect was instantaneous, enable VPN - iTunes takes 1+ min to start, disable it, instantly loads. Never would've guessed that was the issue.

After updating to the latest version from the Private Internet Access website (V.56) everything is back to normal. I tried a whole bunch of other things to fix it; uninstalling all apple programs / reinstalling itunes, resetting my iphone, starting with a blank library, tinkering around with device manager, and nothing made a difference.

Anyways just thought I would throw it out there in case anyone else has a similar issue / finds this thread by searching on google. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.