Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonsterRain

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Is it possible to move music/tv shows from one account to another on the same computer? Example: All my music is on account shortname: jdoe. I'd like it to be on the admin account of my new computer (same computer), with the name jdoe2, which currently has a bunch of pre-installed programs I don't have, plus the more desirable username. I keep trying, but it says I don't have permissions to do so..

Is this possible?

Edit: Figured out a way to do what I want. It just took a few hours to get done. Basically, I set up the shared folder, pulled the files I wanted off one username into it, then copied those on the one I want to keep, into the directory I'll be using. I could care less about apps and settings. Those can be configured later on. The music/movies were the most important thing. I haven't synced since I got my new laptop. :(

Last edited:

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Log in to your Admin account and move the files from the other user folder (Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/../<wherever your desired files are>/) to yours.

MonsterRain

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I think where I'm running into problems is that I tried importing data from the old machine, which it did just fine on...but it set the 2nd account also to an admin account, which it was on the first system. So every time i try to move the files, it says I don't have permission to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.