Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
I asked this question in a previous thread but thought it deserved it's own. So here goes.

Do you guys think that Apple should develop a version of iTunes for the pro DJ? Kinda like Traktor, MegSeg, PCDJ, Etc.

~e

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Yes I think that is a good idea. I would also like to see a DJ iPod, where you can mix songs together on the fly.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
i too would like a sampler based iPod, but the dj thing is a bit much. not much of an interface to work with...now I could see using external controllers that could use the iPod as a sound bank (although crossfading on the same device might pose a problem...?)

when it has an audio in (1/8" and/or optical) i'll be the first in line. ;)

just waiting for the day when i can plug in a mic yo!

peace.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
At the moment, I have to say that "Traktor DJ Studio" is the best App. going. Not to mention the "Final Scratch Pro" version. Real Sweet. Perhaps, iTunes should just stay iTunes BUT I love the idea about putting 'Inputs' into the next generation of iPod. I would love to record me DJ sets on the fly.

~e

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Originally posted by eclipse525
BUT I love the idea about putting 'Inputs' into the next generation of iPod. I would love to record me DJ sets on the fly.

~e

HAHAHA You can't even take Mp3's off the iPod and put them into iTunes without running third party software. the record companies would be all over Apple

krimson

macrumors 65816
personally, i'd rather see a dj with a stack of vinyl, than someone clicking away with a mouse, typing on a keyboard or sitting behind a laptop... even with 2 iPods, there's nothing like seeing a live set with full on energy, warmth of vinyl. :D

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Originally posted by krimson
personally, i'd rather see a dj with a stack of vinyl, than someone clicking away with a mouse, typing on a keyboard or sitting behind a laptop... even with 2 iPods, there's nothing like seeing a live set with full on energy, warmth of vinyl. :D

this is only true if they are actually doing something with that vinyl...like scratching. most dj's don't do this. what you usually see is a show put on for the crowd: the dj looking busy, twiddling knobs, and spinning the pin....this is all crap. they're not doing **** up thier but beat-matching. i'm one of the "laptop dj's" and I usually get all the attention when surrounded by vinyl. I even turned a few dj's on to the art of computer based music. most laptop dj's actually create their own music (unless they're just using a beat matching program...then they're just lazy).

if you can actually make songs with vinyl (samples) then more power to ya'! If Flow gets his ass in gear (local turntablist...one of the best in the northwest) i'll post some of his **** on my site (which is almost ready).

peace.

krimson

macrumors 65816
No, i mean people that use their laptops to play pre-recorded music.. the "lazy" people. The laptop is good for stuff that you've created and want to showcase immediately without running acetates.

Now, i'll admit, i've only seen the "lazy" laptop dj's, but there is a level of crowd interaction i've never seen with any of the laptop dj's i've played with. They end up just staring at the screen half the time, and basically ignore the crowd at many points.

I do not "BS" the knob turning, im not a perfect beat-matcher, so i do make corrections when i need to... but like I said, it's my own personal opinion. You like your laptop that's fine, ill stick to my 1200's, and lack of BS :D

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
I'm looking at buying turntables and a mixer for some scratching and mixing, but if Apple was to release a program for just that, I'd buy it.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Originally posted by applekid
I'm looking at buying turntables and a mixer for some scratching and mixing, but if Apple was to release a program for just that, I'd buy it.

well, they just released Garage Band...no scratching though. have you tried traktor from NI?

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Originally posted by applekid

Yo...check out Stanton's Final Scratch. It's amazing. Below is a link to the site and also another link of a video clip from TechTV showing it off. Good stuff.

http://www.finalscratch.com/fs4/start.asp

http://cgi.techtv.com/mediamodule?a...d=165&video_format=asf&version=20030701142031

Enjoy and let me know what you think.

~e

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Originally posted by eclipse525
Yo...check out Stanton's Final Scratch. It's amazing.

~e

just don't scratch slow. you can hear the 'digital dust' on the record. a few turntablists I know were very disapointed in it's performance.... :(

?

peace.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Originally posted by neut
just don't scratch slow. you can hear the 'digital dust' on the record. a few turntablists I know were very disapointed in it's performance.... :(

?

peace.

A true Turntablist wouldn't go this route anyway. I think it's a good alternative. FS is by no means perfect but it's damn close. It's good to see an innovative way and effort that caters the DJ with a love for Vinyl. I still have my Turntables and CRATES of vinyl, which I'll never get rid of but I'm willing to give FS a shot.

~e

marvin

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
For a cheaper (AND cooler, imo) option, check out Ms. Pinky's Interdimensional Wrecked System.
You can use the software & vinyl to scratch audio AND video... and you can also use any of your own records for manipulation/scratching purposes. AND it's only $99.

You do need phono preamps for each turntable you're using, but it's still a steal. And if you're into MAX/MSP, you can hack the software to your heart's content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.