Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smumike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2005
I have a few music files in wma format and it took me 4 hours to try and convert them to mp3 or m4a so itunes in osx can play it and toastit 7 can burn it but couldn't. Drag the files to my usb drive, add it to my windows xp itunes and it automatically converted it to m4a (aac) in minutes and before long I burned those files as music cd with toast. Why is it so much trouble in osx to convert a few wma files when windows itunes could do it? Did apple leave it out on purpose or was it just an oversight? Overall, I find converting wma to mp3 a big hassle, you had to pay for software, easywma for example, that use an opensource converter. And easywma can't convert ALL wma codec either. Overall, very disappointed in itunes for mac and osx in general on this issue. Anyone got a similar problem? what did u do to resolve it?
Mike.

stoid

macrumors 601
The reason that Apple has included this feature on Windows iTunes is because converting wma to mp3 is a feature of the Windows operating system. However, to perform that conversion on a Mac you have t buy a license from Microsoft (or a developer does for each copy of the app that is used.)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Apparently, the conversion is something that can only be done running Windows. It's hard to use operating system functionality that isn't in another operating system. I wonder how many CoreAudio applications from Mac OS X would run properly on Windows knowing that CoreAudio doesn't exist outside of Mac OS X.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
Yeah but iTunes on windows doesn't need iTunes (core audio on a mac) to convert files, it has Windows audio system to convert which is under MS control. Apple would have to pay for it just like you paid for easywma. Plus most apple users will rip in mp3 or acc.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Lord Blackadder said:
Not that I have any wma files, but it's just plain shady.
There's that, too. Chances of OS X users having legal wma files that they want to convert are much smaller than for Windows users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.