Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loyaluser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2023
I am running IOS 17.0.1 on iPhone 14 pro max 1TB. Been backing up to iTunes for the last 10 years or so with no issues. Running windows 10. Using windows store iTunes. Current back up size is around 500Gb which is about 2 weeks old. Need to back up again now which should only be 5 GB of new date to be amended to existing backup.

After upgrading to IOS 17 (not sure if it is a coincidence) but when attempting to back up to iTunes, iTunes creates a new SnapShot folder in the backup folder and attempts to create a new sets of back up files there...instead of updating the existing backup files.

Here is the structure of the files in the backup folder before starting the backup:

Status.plist

Info.plist

Manifest.db

Manifest.plist

Folder[00]

Folder[0a]

Folder[0c]

and so on.....

After attempting to backup, a new SanpShot folder is created in the same folder level above and starts to populate the Snapshot folder with new sets of folders : Folder [00], Folder[0a], Folder[0c]... so it looks like this:

Status.plist

Info.plist

Manifest.db

Manifest.plist

[Snapshot] (which contains Folder [00], Folder[0a], Folder[0c])

Folder[00]

Folder[0a]

Folder[0c]

and so on.....

so If I let the iTunes continue, it populated the Snapshot folder with almost 250GB of data and i realized that it is creating a new sets of backup in snapshot folder....so I discontinued the process.

I deleted the Snapshot folder, I attempted to uninstalled/reinstalled the iTunes ,restarted the pc and restarted the iPhone but attempting to the backup again creates the same scenario....

i haven't updated to IOS 17.03 yet since i want to backup before doing so...

any insight of why iTunes is attempting to create new set of backup files in snapshot folder instead of amending the existing ones...i am baffled..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.