Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Help!

For some reason iTunes keeps not responding. Happening at least twice a day when I start it. Force quit does nothing and I can't restart or shut down because of it and have to do a hard reset.

Any ideas?

Tim

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Does it happen when the iPod isn't plugged in? Perhaps try removing com.apple.iTunesHelper.plist but keep it in case this does nothing so that you can simply put it back where you found it and keep all your settings. If that preference file does nothing, then try removing com.apple.iTunes.plist however I don't know that this is an iTunes player problem. :)

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Thanks for the advice guys. I deleted iTunes completely and reinstalled and that hasn't helped (I'm using 6.0.2).

It works fine when I turn on as it opens automatically. It seems to be if I quit it and start it again later it doesn't work. It does a single dock bounce and nothing else.

Are there any alternatives to force quit that work? I really hate having to turn off with the power button all the time.

:(

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
sunfast said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I deleted iTunes completely and reinstalled and that hasn't helped (I'm using 6.0.2).

Reinstalled iTunes? Erm, this is the Mac in your signature, right? Do you mean you deleted that file I recommended?

sunfast said:
It works fine when I turn on as it opens automatically. It seems to be if I quit it and start it again later it doesn't work. It does a single dock bounce and nothing else.

Is this with the iPod plugged in?

sunfast said:
Are there any alternatives to force quit that work? I really hate having to turn off with the power button all the time.

Not really, sorry. :eek:

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Yep - did a spotlight search and trashed those files you suggested and then trashed iTunes itself for good measure. Then downloaded it again from apple and installed. It is the mac in my sig btw.

All the problems are with the iPod plugged in.

It did behave a bit better yesterday, I quit and managed to start it again a bit later. I guess I'll just need to leave it running all the time. I do use it most of the time so that's no real hardship. Many thanks for all the advice though.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
sunfast said:
All the problems are with the iPod plugged in.

Ah, I had very similar problems when my iPod's hard drive was failing. Go to Disk Utility in the Utilities folder and verify the iPod's disk. If there are errors then repair the disk using the same app. It might even be worthwhile restoring the firmware however see how the disk verify/repair goes first. :)

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Interesting! Have had my iPod for a bit so that may be it. Will try that as soon as I get home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.