Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
Hi

I having problem accessing my iTunes library with iTunes.

I have WDMyCloud storage. I got it about 3 years ago. I moved my iTunes library on NAS. It works fine for last 3 years.

Last year December it stopped working. Sometimes I can’t open iTunes. Sometimes I can open it but it crash. Sometimes I can open it and seems fine then scroll down home movies and it crash. Basically I cannot use my iTunes and my iTunes library since December. Haven’t able to sort it out (been very busy no time yet).

I don’t know what to do?

I am using iMac.
I am using latest macOS high sierra.
iTunes is latest version.
My iTunes library about 500GB.

Does this mean I can no longer use iTunes library on NAS? (I hope not!!)

I can’t move library to iMac internal hard drive cos of space.

If I cannot use NAS and it need be moved then can it move to external hard drive and plug in iMac when I want use iTunes? Would that be reliable enough? Or it must be my iMac internal drive?

Thanks

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
I been searching online try solve problem but it seems not possible.

I knew NAS might break for iTunes library one day and it looks like finally did. Normal files etc works fine on NAS.

Looks like I have to consider external desktop drive for iTunes library.

Any brand you recommend? I always used WD. Considering Seagate exapansion desktop drive.

Not want spend over £100. Probably aim for 2TB.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Virtually any of the big name drives will be good, Seagate, WD, etc. Check out reviews on Amazon to get people's take on the ones you are considering.

All you will have to do is move (or copy) the iTunes folder from NAS to the new drive. Then, when you launch iTunes, hold the Option key then click on the iTunes app icon. It will prompt to Create or Choose a library. Select Choose and find the iTunes folder on the new drive.

iTunes keeps all the settings in XML, ITL, and ITDB files. Typically this is in the root iTunes directory, and the media is in /iTunes/iTunesMedia. Make sure to copy everything in the iTunes directory and everything under it.

Reactions: Jay-Jacob

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
Thanks replying.

I probably will need buy external desktop drive next few days. Keep my NAS for normal use instead iTunes library.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Hmmm... that is strange. I have had my iTunes library on my NAS box for years now. I just moved it from a QNAP to Synology without any issues.

• Does the WDMyCloud storage have it's own version of iTunes running on it?
  • Have you updated the software for WDMyCloud storage lately?
  • Have you double checked to make sure iTunes didn't revert back to the default location after update?

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
Hmmm... that is strange. I have had my iTunes library on my NAS box for years now. I just moved it from a QNAP to Synology without any issues.

• Does the WDMyCloud storage have it's own version of iTunes running on it?
  • Have you updated the software for WDMyCloud storage lately?
  • Have you double checked to make sure iTunes didn't revert back to the default location after update?

1) no it doesn’t. It iTunes media server switched off.

2) I am on latest WDMyCloud firmware.

3) iTunes location defo right place because when it does open before crash it shows right library.

I have accept that I need move to external desktop drive instead of NAS. I tried much as I can think off but it seems be unsolvable.

DJRose

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2018
1) no it doesn’t. It iTunes media server switched off.

2) I am on latest WDMyCloud firmware.

3) iTunes location defo right place because when it does open before crash it shows right library.

I have accept that I need move to external desktop drive instead of NAS. I tried much as I can think off but it seems be unsolvable.

Hello!

Just wondering did your iTunes NAS connection break with Sierra or High Sierra? I was considering updating to Sierra, but don’t want to if it is gonna cause an issue with my MyCloud drive and iTunes.

Thanks,

David

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
England
Hello!

Just wondering did your iTunes NAS connection break with Sierra or High Sierra? I was considering updating to Sierra, but don’t want to if it is gonna cause an issue with my MyCloud drive and iTunes.

Thanks,

David

It works fine with High Sierra until December last year for some reason. It just stopped working.

Have now got desktop external drive and it works perfectly.

DJRose

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2018
It works fine with High Sierra until December last year for some reason. It just stopped working.

Have now got desktop external drive and it works perfectly.

Hey,

Thanks for your reply! I installed Sierra and so far the WDMyCloud is working. Since it sounds like an update that happened to High Sierra in December may be the issue, I will refrain from updating to High Sierra since I just bought the WDMyCloud. However, when I have to upgrade to High Sierra, I will remember to get a external drive!

UPDATE: iTunes 12.7.2 works. iTunes 12.7.3 and above will not work.

Thanks again,

David

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay-Jacob
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.