Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tcbert96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2016
Hello wonderful people of MacRumors,

I have a collection of music in my iTunes library, some of which are apple match songs. The issue I am having is I want to use this music on my iPod nano, something which apparently cannot be done. After looking into this further it seems that all of my match songs cannot be used outside of itunes, be it on an iphone or otherwise. I feel like there is a simple solution about how to convert the m4p files to perhaps mp3, but after some digging and downloading some shady programs I haven't been able to find anything that works. I was hoping that somebody on this forum could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks guys and gals.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
What exactly do you mean by "Apple Match songs"? Matched songs download as standard 254kbps AAC files, which play natively on iPhones and iPods, including the Nano. No conversion is necessary. What exactly happens when you try to play them on the Nano?

tcbert96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2016
What exactly do you mean by "Apple Match songs"? Matched songs download as standard 254kbps AAC files, which play natively on iPhones and iPods, including the Nano. No conversion is necessary. What exactly happens when you try to play them on the Nano?

By "matched songs" I am referring to songs that I have downloaded using my iTunes Match (or Apple Music) subscription. My understanding is that these songs are downloaded to a different folder than purchased songs, and in a different format .m4p. I don't even have the option to add these songs to the ipod shuffle (sorry turns out it is a shuffle not a nano sorry).

Thanks for your reply

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
By "matched songs" I am referring to songs that I have downloaded using my iTunes Match (or Apple Music) subscription. My understanding is that these songs are downloaded to a different folder than purchased songs, and in a different format .m4p. I don't even have the option to add these songs to the ipod shuffle (sorry turns out it is a shuffle not a nano sorry).
Do you have iTunes Match or Apple Music, or both? If you have Apple Music only, the downloaded files have DRM (copy protection) and will not play on an iPod Nano or Shuffle unfortunately. Nothing can be done about it. They do play on iPhone and iPod Touch though.

tcbert96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2016
Do you have iTunes Match or Apple Music, or both? If you have Apple Music only, the downloaded files have DRM (copy protection) and will not play on an iPod Nano or Shuffle unfortunately. Nothing can be done about it. They do play on iPhone and iPod Touch though.

Okay so there isn't any free way to remove DRM protection. Shoot. Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying that if I have both iTunes match and apple music that the songs wont have DRM. It's kind of pointless for me to download all of this music if I have to purchase it again just so that I can use it on my workout iPod. What a silly feature.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
You are confusing music that you already own with music you are streaming (renting). Match is for music that you already own from CDs, Amazon, iTunes purchases or........ Matched tracks are not DRM protected. :apple:Music is streamed (or can be downloaded to play later on approved devices) and you don't own it. You are just 'renting' to use and it contains DRM.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying that if I have both iTunes match and apple music that the songs wont have DRM.
If you also subscribe to iTunes Match, only matched songs which you own can be downloaded without DRM. Songs downloaded from Apple Music will still have DRM.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Okay so there isn't any free way to remove DRM protection. Shoot. Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying that if I have both iTunes match and apple music that the songs wont have DRM. It's kind of pointless for me to download all of this music if I have to purchase it again just so that I can use it on my workout iPod. What a silly feature.
If you have both, your own songs that have been matched will download without DRM. But in no case will songs that you don't own (i.e. that you only get access to through the AM subscription) download without DRM.

The small iPods without Internet connection are not supported by Apple Music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.