Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfli1688c1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
my iphone 6s plus is on ios 11.4. i have a problem with
iTunes Media Services using lots of cellular data. I have turn off cellular access for all apps, except the essential, like facetime, find iphone. dont have apple music on, uninstalled it.
when i was playing a game, paper io2, which cellular was turn off, the iTunes Media Services consume around 200 mb of data. I have search thru the web, can not get anything to stop the data drain from iTunes Media Services. Any ideas?

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Disable Automatic Downloads in Settings > Music.

Also, disable "Use Cellular Data" in Settings > iTunes & App Stores

You can still stream music over cellular with these settings, but it won't use cellular data to download songs and apps in the background.

You could also turn off "WiFi Assist" since it uses cell data even if you are on (poor) WiFi.

Last edited:

luismedina

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2017
Monterrey, Mexico
I have exactly the same problem, it started around October 2nd, last night iTunes Media Services consumed 2 GB of data while my phone was charging, no WiFi connection, I have disabled data usage for many of my apps, iCloud Drive data usage is turned off, WiFi Assist is also disabled, Photos and Music data usage has been disabled too

Attachments

• F8949F87-70F4-4E48-A479-6EC5D5B0D637.png
    F8949F87-70F4-4E48-A479-6EC5D5B0D637.png
    243.7 KB · Views: 326

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I have exactly the same problem, it started around October 2nd, last night iTunes Media Services consumed 2 GB of data while my phone was charging, no WiFi connection, I have disabled data usage for many of my apps, iCloud Drive data usage is turned off, WiFi Assist is also disabled, Photos and Music data usage has been disabled too
Disable Automatic Downloads in Settings > Music.

Also, disable "Use Cellular Data" in Settings > iTunes & App Stores

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.