Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jt1968

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2017
I am losing my f&*%ing mind right now. REALLY hating iTunes 12.9 right now.....

I have an SSD drive as the C:\ drive on my PC, and I have a regular mechanical HDD with much more space available, which is the D:\ drive. I want to have all my iTunes music, movies, and TV shows in the D:\iTunes folder I've created, and I've gone into preferences and changed the place where the library resides to D:\iTunes, but every time I close iTunes and re-open it, it defaults back to the C:\Users\John\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media folder - every.single.time. It's really pissing me off, because I am rapidly running out of space on the SSD drive. I tried moving the entire folder to D:\iTunes, and then erasing the entire old folder on the C:\ drive, but now I have to re-download all of my content. I'm about to unplug the PC and throw it out the f&%@*ng window!

I'm running the latest PC version of iTunes (12.9), in Windows 10 version 1903 (the latest), C:\ drive is a 256GB SSD, the D:\ drive is a 1TB mechanical HDD.

If anyone knows how I can force iTunes to permanently store all of the downloaded media files on the D:\ drive, and not revert back to the default C:\ drive location, I'd be most grateful, and my blood pressure would certainly drop back down to a healthy level.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and answers!

jt1968

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2017
Ever mind, I solved the problem by installing a new Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD as the OS and primary drive, so now I have the space for my entire iTunes library on the C:\ drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.