Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stefanmz7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Hey,so after Apple Introduced lossless audio on Apple Music has iTunes store quality changed? Can I purchase a song in lossless quality?

jimm1

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2022
Lossless music is offered only through Apple Music streaming service. Bought music in iTunes Store is still AAC.
Yes apple music streaming Service / subscription service. But you can add tracks to “your iCloud library” (in OSX will appear as kind = Streaming). If you then select to download after adding to your iCloud library the tracks will download either AAC or lossless based on the preferences in the device you are downloading to. If you want lossless then check the preferences in the device you are downloading to. The default will be AAC not lossless. You can play the downloaded lossless while you have a subscription. If your subscription lapses, the downloaded items will disappear from your iCloud library and thus from any devices that use this library.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
No option, but I wish they did have one. For DJing it would be nice to be able to download a lossless version for any live stuff I'm doing, and also an AAC version for storage/casual listening or at home mixing. I know it's not a big market but I'd enjoy having that rather than have to go thru band camp for most things.

Tho I can't hear the lossless difference anyways, but I hear it's worth it if you do editing to the tracks (rare but I do it sometimes) as well as if you're mixing on a very nice big system. (which is also rare but I would hate to redownload a bunch of music when doing that)

Reactions: paso_stranger

jimm1

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2022
At some stage I updated the bulk of my library from MP3 to AAC and ALAC (lossless). I am not sure (cannot remember) how I did the ALAC part. Some time in 2019. Might have been part of the iTunes match subscription I took up - that at least converted a lot of the MP3 to "Matched AAC".

But lossless is possible - even studio lossless in 24bit from some music. You need to pay to / join Apple Music subscription. You can select an album, at it to your cloud library. It will then sync down or stream to you linked machines in AAC but you can opt for local downloads in Lossless - the type 16 or 24 bit is selected in the Music app preferences. The tracks downloaded like this will be shown as "kind" of "HLS media" in your local library. Presumably if you leave the Apple Music subscription the cloud will update and such tracks will be removed from linked devices.

Stefanmz7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
At some stage I updated the bulk of my library from MP3 to AAC and ALAC (lossless). I am not sure (cannot remember) how I did the ALAC part. Some time in 2019. Might have been part of the iTunes match subscription I took up - that at least converted a lot of the MP3 to "Matched AAC".

But lossless is possible - even studio lossless in 24bit from some music. You need to pay to / join Apple Music subscription. You can select an album, at it to your cloud library. It will then sync down or stream to you linked machines in AAC but you can opt for local downloads in Lossless - the type 16 or 24 bit is selected in the Music app preferences. The tracks downloaded like this will be shown as "kind" of "HLS media" in your local library. Presumably if you leave the Apple Music subscription the cloud will update and such tracks will be removed from linked devices.
Yeah I have Apple Music lossless.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Yeah, you can also buy high-res losless audio on the iTunes Store.
I (re-)bought the Deluxe version of Purple Rain, and those songs are downloaded as HLS media, 24 bits 192 KHz.

BTW, I am not too happy on the HLS media. It seems the audio file can only be played in Music app. I would have prefered high-res ALAC.

Reactions: Andrew73875

Stefanmz7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Yeah, you can also buy high-res losless audio on the iTunes Store.
I (re-)bought the Deluxe version of Purple Rain, and those songs are downloaded as HLS media, 24 bits 192 KHz.

BTW, I am not too happy on the HLS media. It seems the audio file can only be played in Music app. I would have prefered high-res ALAC.
How? How did you purchase in lossless? Can you tell me/post screenshots?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Simply through iTunes Store

Screenshot 2022-02-20 at 09.28.54.png

In "song view" in my Libary
Screenshot 2022-02-20 at 09.31.40.png

Shown in Finder
Screenshot 2022-02-20 at 09.32.00.png

Playing in Hi Res

Screenshot 2022-02-20 at 09.40.16.png

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.