Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Well, I was thinking of making an account for the iTMS. If I do, me and my sister want to share an account. Would it be possible for me to download the song(s), convert them to MP3, and them send them to her? Or can they only be played on the computer it's downloaded on?

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
It depends on whether your sister has a computer that will run iTunes or not, if it does any song bought on the iTMS can be played on both yours and yous sister's computer and one other (iTunes allows three computers at a time to play a song bought from the iTMS)

So all you need to do it set up a joint account for both you and your sister, have one of you buy the songs and just send the files and the account info to whomever you want to have the songs (just so long as they have iTunes) and viola!

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
does she have a Mac/PC with iTunes? if yes, then she can play those songs by making her computer one of the three authorized computers for the songs.

if not, you'd have to burn a CD with your purchased songs and re-rip it as mp3. there'll be a loss of quality, but probably not too bad.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
She has a Dell running WinXP. And no matter what I do, I cannot convince her to get iTunes--she just uses Musicmatch Jukebox.

I thought maybe I could use the "Convert to MP3" function in iTunes, then IM it to her and she could load it up in Musicmatch.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by neoelectronaut
I thought maybe I could use the "Convert to MP3" function in iTunes, then IM it to her and she could load it up in Musicmatch.

no, that won't work. fair play DRM will prevent you from simply turning your purchased songs into mp3. this was the reason recording companies partially agreed to iTMS - that purchased music can't easily be turned into mp3 (then go to Kazaa, in their mind).

zyuzin4

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Eugene, OR
convince your sister! Mine was *cringe* using kazaa as a media player and I downloaded iTunes on her computer and she slowly started using it until now she HAS to use it and won't accept anything else

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Originally posted by jxyama
no, that won't work. fair play DRM will prevent you from simply turning your purchased songs into mp3. this was the reason recording companies partially agreed to iTMS - that purchased music can't easily be turned into mp3 (then go to Kazaa, in their mind).

but it can be done by burning them as an audio CD, then ripping them back in whatever format you want (mp3, unprotected AAC, whatever)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.