Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Starting last week, maybe Friday 02/15, iTunes on one of my PCs will no longer load my TV show or Movie content. At that time they still appeared, but everything was grayed out and couldn't be played. Attempting to troubleshoot it myself, I checked the Apple system status page and saw everything was online, so I tried signing out of iTunes and back in - now my TV and Movie sections appear completely blank. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail, but it's only an issue on this PC; my other PC continues to work fine, as does my Mac, iOS devices, and Apple TVs.

When iTunes loads I see the cloud icons in the top right spinning as it tries to find everything, but ultimately I see this (error text when hovering over the cloud).

upload_2019-2-20_12-57-40.png

Clicking on the orange icon to the right of the Search field yields similar text.

upload_2019-2-20_12-58-12.png

I can go into the Purchased section of my account and see everything, and I can download it successfully and view it, it is just not visible in the library anymore. And yes, I've already checked under View to make sure it isn't set to only show downloaded content. :) That's why the errors above are relevant, and the fact that it started randomly last week after no issues viewing or streaming content previously. I went into the Windows Firewall settings and believe I've added a full exception for iTunes to allow all traffic, but that didn't help either.

Apple Support was no help at all. They ultimately had me uninstall the 64 bit version installed directly from the Apple website and directed me to install iTunes through the Microsoft Store instead. Once that was done and didn't resolve the issue, they quickly dropped back to punt and told me I was now Microsoft's problem since I'm using the iTunes version from their store instead of the one Apple provides. I advised that I was using that one previously and that's where the problem originated, and I could certainly reinstall it again, but their support person said once the MS Store version is installed, you can never go back (consequently, this is untrue, but obviously they were baffled and looking for a reason not to spend more time helping).

I haven't been active here on MR for a while, and I apologize for rambling, but I'm hoping someone has ideas. Thanks in advance guys and gals.

P.S. - After thought when I previewed and saw my original thread header - my music library loads fine. It still gives me an error similar to the video content sections and says it can't be loaded, but it can and everything plays fine. This includes music videos, so color me confused. I have Apple Music so perhaps that part of my account on this PC is fine, I am honestly at a loss. But I felt it worth mentioning. Thanks again.

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Well, it seems I only had to fight with this for a week, contact Apple support with no real support given, then finally come back to MR and type it all out to cause iTunes to get its act together. I've had it open all day while I watched a TV show I downloaded from my Purchased history, and I just went to watch the next episode and my entire library was showing again. Gone one minute, back the next.

So here's hoping it stays fixed, though I have no earthly idea why it broke in the first place or what changed to resolve the issue. So thanks for anyone who read this, hope you're all well. <3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.