Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
So I download music that’s not an Apple Music then add it to iTunes & it syncs to iCloud music library & it’ll automatically download on my iPhone.

Yesterday it stopped working. Now iTunes fails to sync & I get “Genius results can’t be updated right now. The network connection was lost.”

iCloud music library toggle is off in iTunes preferences & can’t toggle it back on.

Tried signing out. Turned off sync library on iPhone & it just deleted most of my downloaded music.

How do I fix it? Please help. Beyond frustrated

BulkSlash

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
I'm getting this too, I guess this means it's a server issue on Apple's side. Hopefully they'll get it fixed quickly.

Reactions: EM2013

caribiner23

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Chicago
I spent 3 hours on the phone with Apple Support yesterday on this very problem. I finally got to an agent who said "we know about this issue." It started for me on Sunday, 11/22 at about 2:00 pm CST.

In the middle of all my troubleshooting, I went so far as to wipe my hard drive, reinstall Big Sur, then wipe again and reinstall Catalina, only to have the problem remain.

At about 6:15 pm CST Monday (11/23) evening, a login prompt for Apple Music popped up (I was already logged in), and things started working again for about 10 minutes. It's been down ever since.

[Vent] Much of those 3 hours was spent with a "Senior Advisor" who knew far less than I did, including her unawareness of the fact that Cloud Music is part of Apple Music. She tried to sell me iTunes Match. She also 'agent-splained' what iCloud and Time Machine are, which had nothing to do with my issue. [/Vent]

I am supposed to get an update later today.

Last edited:

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Kind of relieved that’s it’s an issue on Apple’s part. I was going crazy.

Reactions: BulkSlash

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
I spent 3 hours on the phone with Apple Support yesterday on this very problem. I finally got to an agent who said "we know about this issue." It started for me on Sunday, 11/22 at about 2:00 pm CST.

In the middle of all my troubleshooting, I went so far as to wipe my hard drive, reinstall Big Sur, then wipe again and reinstall Catalina, only to have the problem remain.

At about 6:15 pm CST Monday (11/23) evening, a login prompt for Apple Music popped up (I was already logged in), and things started working again for about 10 minutes. It's been down ever since.

[Vent] Much of those 3 hours was spent with a "Senior Agent" who knew far less than I did, including her unawareness of the fact that Cloud Music is part of Apple Music. She tried to sell me iTunes Match. She also 'agent-splained' what iCloud and Time Machine are, which had nothing to do with my issue. [/Vent]

I am supposed to get an update later today.
I did the same thing.

I wiped my hard drive & installed Mojave (thinking that was the latest version my 2012 MBP supported, doh!) & still got the same issue.

Funny thing is some of my iCloud music appears when I open iTunes with cloud icon, but when I turn on the iCloud library toggle, they disappear.

Reactions: caribiner23

caribiner23

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Chicago
Funny thing is some of my iCloud music appears when I open iTunes with cloud icon, but when I turn on the iCloud library toggle, they disappear.

This is what happened on my MacBook Pro, and I thought it was a Big Sur issue. Then I thought to try import music on my iMac and the same thing happened. I would have saved time re- and re-rebuilding my MBP had I tried this first. Oh well, I got a clean install anyway. :)

Reactions: EM2013

trueradio

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2020
I've been going crazy with this, I logged out of my account and logged back in to only have half of my playlists uploaded and I got that error message again. It's good to know that they know about it but funny how they show iMatch and itunes cloud status up and running on their service status page. I'll stay posted here to see what happens next. Thanks for calling them.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
I've been going crazy with this, I logged out of my account and logged back in to only have half of my playlists uploaded and I got that error message again. It's good to know that they know about it but funny how they show iMatch and itunes cloud status up and running on their service status page. I'll stay posted here to see what happens next. Thanks for calling them.
Yeah weird that their status is green. Happened to me this past Sunday & still not fixed.

Not even being reported.

Nikonoclast

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2020
Calgary, AB, Canada
Just echoing what others have said - I'm experienceing the same issue, which I first noticed Monday Nov. 23. Spent most of the morning on the phone today with Apple Support and they have scheduled a call back with me for Monday Nov 30 as it has apparently been escalated to the engineering team. This seems to be a MacOS issue only as both of my iPhones and my iPad have had no issues whatsoever. Both my mac mini running Catalina 10.15.17 and my MacBook Air running Big Sur are affected. Even tried setting up a new user profile on my mac mini and had the same issue immediately. Photo of error message attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 10.58.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 10.58.11 AM.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 287

caribiner23

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Chicago
The Senior Advisor called me back around 7:00 pm CST last night to follow up.

I told him that everything came back during the afternoon, and that I saw how hundreds of people across various Apple forums and social media posted the same complaint. What was most infuriating to most of these people (including me) was Apple's complete silence on this issue: they never updated their status page (here) to indicate the problem, and the people answering their support line were unaware of the outage, thus forcing us through all kinds of fruitless gyrations.

He apologized on behalf of the company, and said that the "internal Apple Engineer Forums" had all kinds of discussion on it since Monday afternoon, but none of that information went to the public.

He also said that Apple typically does not issue public-facing statements about outages like this until after 48 hours of non-resolution. I asked him to kindly note my dissatisfaction with that policy.

This opens up all kinds of other discussions about how Apple runs their business, but I'll leave that for other threads.

Last edited:
Reactions: BulkSlash

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
The Senior Advisor called me back around 7:00 pm CST last night to follow up.

I told him that everything came back during the afternoon, and that I saw how hundreds of people across various Apple forums and social media posted the same complaint. What was most infuriating to most of these people (including me) was Apple's complete silence on this issue: they never updated their status page (here) to indicate the problem, and the people answering their support line were unaware of the outage, thus forcing us through all kinds of fruitless gyrations.

He apologized on behalf of the company, and said that the "internal Apple Engineer Forums" had all kinds of discussion on it since Monday afternoon, but none of that information went to the public.

He also said that Apple typically does not issue public-facing statements about outages like this until after 48 hours of non-resolution. I asked him to kindly note my dissatisfaction with that policy.

This opens up all kinds of other discussions about how Apple runs their business, but I'll leave that for other threads.
Yeah the fact their status page was showing green is what led to confusion for me.

Macrumors reported on it

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Still not fixed. Works then stops working a minute later. 50/50 chance it’ll work.

Ridiculous quality control.

caribiner23

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Chicago
The problem, or one like it, seems to have returned. I am now getting a "this account does not have icloud music enabled" and "Apple Music has not been linked to this account" on my 2020 iMac. Apple Music worked on this device two days ago, and all my other devices (Macbook Pro, iPad, iPhone) are fine now.

I logged out of icloud, out of my music account, then logged back in using all different orders and gyrations. Nothing fixes it.

Has anyone else experienced this problem recently?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 11.37.50 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 11.37.50 AM.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 136

caribiner23

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Chicago
Followup on 2/5/2021: while speaking to my 8th Apple Support rep who ran some diagnostics on my iMac I was left without a solution yesterday afternoon. I have a followup call scheduled with the senior advisor on Sunday.

That said, I just tried Apple Music again and lo-and-behold, it works now. I didn't do anything at my end, not even a reboot.

My guess is this is another undocumented Apple Music outage.

Champagne_5S

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2018
Netherlands
I've also been having much trouble with my iTunes Match library, as the failing Genius connection prevents my library from syncing. Just keeps spinning for almost forever and then errors out.
Every once in a while it goes through, but I cannot pinpoint a solution from my side; rebooting or manually refreshing does not solve the issue.

For the record, I'm running iTunes 12.3.3 on Sierra, with a ±10.000-song library (>100GB in aac/256). Never have had serious issues with this setup over the many years I've had it, until now :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.