Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bill P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
I have the latest iTunes and use it to b/u my phone. So, I turned on my phone and then plugged it into my iMac. iTunes launches and says my iOS 13 configured iPhone (as of yesterday) needs to be updated before it can be backed up and offered to update. I chose not to proceed (clicked not now or whatever was offered).

Now iTunes is not seeing the phone when I plug it in.

This back up is fairly important to me as I'll be getting the 11 Pro in a few days and I would like to use the most recent backup from the newly configured (iOS 13) iPhone 10S.

Perhaps I should have waited for iOS 13.1 as suggested elsewhere.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
When I plugged my phone in after upgrade had the same issue - then on my Mac it said I needed a software upgrade and after that install it worked. Don't know how to trigger or what but it now recognizes

Reactions: Bill P.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If your old iPhone is still around, maybe you could give that “short range wireless data transfer“ thing a try and set up your new iPhone with your old iPhone. As for the iTunes, I can still manage to let my iTunes 12.6.5 see my iPhone XS Max under iOS 13 without problem, so there might be some packages iTunes need to update to support iOS 13. My 2c.

Reactions: Bill P.

Bill P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
I closed a few windows and saw that the alert box was still available and I authorized it to apply the update. Very quick so it must have accounted for the fact that I had already done it. Backup is working again and all is well.

Thank you!

BacktoMacNJ

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
I had the same issue - redownloaded iTunes and then the alert box popped up about the update to recognize the phone - ugh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.