Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeadeyeM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Does any one else experience this, when i close iTunes i always start from top playlist. So lets say have listened my song on somewhere in middle of playlist, but after i close itunes and open it it starts from top.

Funsize93

macrumors regular
May 23, 2018
Australia
Expected behaviour. When you quit iTunes and reopen you are essentially making it "forget" and restart fresh. I would advise that you do not quit iTunes if you wish to maintain your place in the playlist.

DeadeyeM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Silly behaviour tbh i don't think i have noticed this on previous OS's

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
iTunes has become a piece of junk over the years so there is a lot of nonstandard behaviour in this so-called first-party app. Did you know you still can't double-click the title bar to zoom the app window? Four years later and they've still not fixed it.

DeadeyeM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
iTunes has become a piece of junk over the years so there is a lot of nonstandard behaviour in this so-called first-party app. Did you know you still can't double-click the title bar to zoom the app window? Four years later and they've still not fixed it.

Is there a good alternative to Itunes on mac?

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
Is there a good alternative to Itunes on mac?

Well, I use Clementine (https://www.clementine-player.org) and it's the only free alternative I have found that has all the features I need, such as support for Internet Radio streams. It has a pretty dated UI but it's very stable and has built-in support for various Internet Radio stations out-of-the-box as well as Spotify for Premium users (not tried that though). I've just checked and I can see it does remember which playlist you were in and what song was last selected when you quit and reopen the app.

You need to give the app accessibility control (System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy Tab > Accessibility) in order for your media control keys to work when the app is in the background.

If you don't like the default behaviour of Clementine, you can customise it. Here's what I do:

In Preferences > Behaviour:

upload_2018-10-8_13-51-20.png

In Preferences > Appearance:

upload_2018-10-8_13-52-12.png

In Library > Group by > Advanced grouping...

upload_2018-10-8_13-53-6.png
(Click the tool icon)

upload_2018-10-8_13-53-43.png

Edit: According to this issue report, you'll need to give the app accessibility control for it to run under Mojave.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeadeyeM

DeadeyeM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I'm running it under High Sierra. It works fine.

Just double checking so you play a song in some where middle of playlist and then when quit and re-open it it's still hi-lighted on your song and not top song?

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
Just double checking so you play a song in some where middle of playlist and then when quit and re-open it it's still hi-lighted on your song and not top song?

Yes I tried that and Clementine does that for me. If I play a particular song and then pause it, quit the app and reopen it, that song is visible and highlighted in the playlist it's assigned to.

DeadeyeM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Yes I tried that and Clementine does that for me. If I play a particular song and then pause it, quit the app and reopen it, that song is visible and highlighted in the playlist it's assigned to.
What i meant was not on Clementine but on iTunes do you have this also?

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
I'm jsut wandering was that the same on HS hm....

I don't know, but I'm still running High Sierra, so the iTunes behaviour is clearly the same on both macOS releases. To be honest iTunes has a lot of strange non-native behaviour. They must use some non-native cross-platform components in the Mac version of iTunes since it runs on Windows as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.