Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I switched from iPhoto to Photos today and so far cannot sync photos and get the following message.

"iTunes cannot sync photos to the iPhone “John Wolf’s iPhone (2)” because your Photos Library is not yet available. Please try again later."

Any ideas? Thanks..

What I have tried

- Rebooting iPhone
- Quitting and relaunching both photos and iTunes
- The following article https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204545

But still the same results.

Last edited:

mrgreeneyes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2007
Gatineau,Canada
i have the same problem, i cannot sync any photos to my iPhone or iPad.
when i click on the photos tab in iTunes, it only gives me the option to sync photos from the pictures folder on my mac, and not my photos library.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Hi,

Go to Photos preferences / general, make sure the Photos Library is the "system" library.

Click on "use as system photo library".

Luther Mac

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2015
I have this same problem.

1. I do not use iCloud for storing photos so there is nothing to sync.
2. If I go to photos>general I cannot click on the "Photos Library is the system library" button to use as system photo library.

Neither solution here works for me. Any other suggestions? Ive been struggling with this ever since iPhoto switched over to Photos.

kjgriffin

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I have this same problem.

1. I do not use iCloud for storing photos so there is nothing to sync.
2. If I go to photos>general I cannot click on the "Photos Library is the system library" button to use as system photo library.

Neither solution here works for me. Any other suggestions? Ive been struggling with this ever since iPhoto switched over to Photos.

In case anyone is still using Aperture and encounters this problem, I have an alternate solution. In my case, things had been working well for years with MacBookAir, even for 1.2 years after migration to iPhone X. In last 2 weeks, I suddenly had prolonged sync and the "Aperture library not yet available" error. After changing to new empty library and back , trying to re-select which albums to sync, showed that syncing photos was unchecked. Rechecking brought iPhoto as the default. Changing to Aperture brought a spinning circle of grey lines that never ended.

After trying many approaches including those here I finally saw that I had 30 GB of 500 on my drive left free; usually running at ~1/2-full. This was in part to 2 files, an iPhoto Library and Photos Library.photoslibrary that took up 150 GB; all the more frustrating since I never use IPhoto or Photos.app. Deleting those 2 files and restarting/quitting Aperture let me see in iTunes the list of albums I couldn't before. After selecting the ones I wanted and re-syncing the phone, all is working well now.

I hope this helps someone else out there. Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.