Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Hello. Today I have a little plight with my iOS 9.0.1 iPhone 4S! To my understanding, I cannot back it up with my normal iTunes version (11.4)! I would not like to update iTunes (if possible) because, iTunes 12 is more frustrating than 11.4! So, i'm trying to think of a alternative. Normally (If I still had my Windows 7PC working [It's dead]), i'd run iTunes 12 on a 8.1 Duel boot (in that partition) however, I recently got a Windows 8.1 PC [Alienware 13t] and, it's a waste of a product key to duel boot 2 versions of Windows 8.1!

At this point, I have 3 options.

First, is it possible to install iTunes 11.4 on my Windows XP Virtual Box VM (It's legally set up (I used a currently unused product key that I had sitting around collecting dust on a laptop that no longer works and, I got it straight from Microsoft via Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate Virtual Machine file:)!) and, transfer all of my normal backups over to Windows XP and then update the 8.1 partition to iTunes 12.x?

Second, do you think I should run in my Virtual-box VM iTunes 12 and, leave the already backed up files in the host partition running iTunes 11.4?

Third and finally, should I leave my iTunes 11.4 data in the 8.1 partition and, set up my computer to run Windows 10 TP (alongside Windows 8.1 in a duel boot configuration)?

Thank you for your help with this plight!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Hello. Today I have a little plight with my iOS 9.0.1 iPhone 4S! To my understanding, I cannot back it up with my normal iTunes version (11.4)! I would not like to update iTunes (if possible) because, iTunes 12 is more frustrating than 11.4! So, i'm trying to think of a alternative. Normally (If I still had my Windows 7PC working [It's dead]), i'd run iTunes 12 on a 8.1 Duel boot (in that partition) however, I recently got a Windows 8.1 PC [Alienware 13t] and, it's a waste of a product key to duel boot 2 versions of Windows 8.1!

At this point, I have 3 options.

First, is it possible to install iTunes 11.4 on my Windows XP Virtual Box VM (It's legally set up (I used a currently unused product key that I had sitting around collecting dust on a laptop that no longer works and, I got it straight from Microsoft via Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate Virtual Machine file:)!) and, transfer all of my normal backups over to Windows XP and then update the 8.1 partition to iTunes 12.x?

Second, do you think I should run in my Virtual-box VM iTunes 12 and, leave the already backed up files in the host partition running iTunes 11.4?

Third and finally, should I leave my iTunes 11.4 data in the 8.1 partition and, set up my computer to run Windows 10 TP (alongside Windows 8.1 in a duel boot configuration)?

Thank you for your help with this plight!
Use a vm and don't overthink it. I have at least 15 vms ruining under workstation (not all simultaneously)

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Use a vm and don't overthink it. I have at least 15 vms ruining under workstation (not all simultaneously)

Sweet you do have a good point! Thank you so much for your opinion!
In that case, I'll run iTunes 12 in the XP VM and, everything will be all set! :D!

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Thank you for the help.

However, I'm still confused about which option I should do. Should I put iTunes 12 or 11 on the XP VM?

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
New England
12. I might not be correct but I don't think 11 will work with iOS 9.

Correct! iTunes 11 will not support iOS 9. It is barely compatible with iOS 8 and, that's where my dilemma begins!

3 out of my 4 devices can be synced with 11.4! The device in question is a 9.0.1 iPhone 4S (I'm testing it out for a little bit!) Compared to iTunes 12, I prefer it better!

I belive I have 2 options at this point. First, I just found out that supposedly iTunes 12 did support XP at one point https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1615?locale=en_US ! It's not the newest version but, should do for now! (12.1.3) I could try to run that and, see if my 9.0.1 4S will sync!

Otherwise, my last resort would be to keep the Host OS's (Windows 8.1's) iTunes firmware at iTunes 11.4 and, duel boot Windows 8.1 with the buggy Windows 10 TP!

Whichever option I choose, it should be Interesting! On my Alienware, I do have enough space for a Windows 10 TP partition but, my only concern would be that I also plan on inserting a Linux partition down the road and, I'm kinda skeptical of Windows 10's automatic updates messing up that partition!

Overall, It's going to be a Interesting weekend!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.