Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taker1800

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2018
Hi all.

Is it just me or is somebody else having problem with opening the iTunes App on Mojave?

If no does somebody knows any fix for it, or is it possible to install the 12.7.5 from High Sierra?

Greetings

Reactions: nortonandreev

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Hi all.

Is it just me or is somebody else having problem with opening the iTunes App on Mojave?

If no does somebody knows any fix for it, or is it possible to install the 12.7.5 from High Sierra?

Greetings

Mojave should be considered experimental and nonfunctional at this point.

It’s essentially a prototype. They’re not even done stripping out the code they’re removing from it.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Mojave is at the first major testing step in the beta process - there's always going to be interesting challenges with any beta software.

If you want to go back to your normal system, then that might be your plan for right now.
(It's a beta operating system - and a good thing that you made a bootable backup before you upgraded to test Mojave. You do have a backup of your normal system, right?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
iTunes also works for me in Mojave.
But - Mojave is early beta, and you still have to be cautious.

You can try launching iTunes when you are logged in to another user account (and it's a good reason to make another account, just for troubleshooting the occasional problem in software.)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Apple Music works for me here - but I only use that a couple times a year.
Maybe someone with more current use will post here.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Mojave should be considered experimental and nonfunctional at this point.

It’s essentially a prototype. They’re not even done stripping out the code they’re removing from it.

That's a very extreme comment, as Mojave is working fine for me on the whole, with all the apps I use. As for iTunes on Mojave, I use it constantly throughout the day, either for music/podcasts/audiobooks as I work using Citrix to remote into my work pc, or in the evening streaming tv/films to the Apple TV in the living room.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
That's a very extreme comment, as Mojave is working fine for me on the whole, with all the apps I use. As for iTunes on Mojave, I use it constantly throughout the day, either for music/podcasts/audiobooks as I work using Citrix to remote into my work pc, or in the evening streaming tv/films to the Apple TV in the living room.

Hardly an extreme comment.

I never said it didn't work. I said it should be "CONSIDERED experimental and nonfunctional at this point.

It’s essentially a prototype. They’re not even done stripping out the code they’re removing from it."

If people don't understand the purpose of Beta Testing, then they set themselves up for disappointment and problems, and often data loss.

Testing a product in daily production is a method of finding quirks and bugs more quickly.

Using it as your primary environment because you wanted the latest features before anybody else, is only asking for trouble.

Using it just for the sake of using it, and not being active in helping to identify, report, troubleshoot, and correct bugs, is NOT BETA TESTING.

That is a user, who simply wanted to play with the new toy.

Beta testing is taking a product which is known to be problematic, experimental, and not ready for daily use, and finding the problems, and helping to get it ready for daily use.

If it was considered functional and ready to use, then it would not be in Beta.

Does it do some stuff? Yes

Does it work as intended? No

Is it reliable? No

Can it be used? Yes, if you are prepared to have it suddenly die and possibly take something else with it (the gamble of all Beta software).

And, no... They are not done stripping out code. Much of the old code is simply deactivated. Which is a way of finding out whether the software can function without the code prior to actually stripping the code from the software.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Hardly an extreme comment.

I never said it didn't work. I said it should be "CONSIDERED experimental and nonfunctional at this point.

It’s essentially a prototype. They’re not even done stripping out the code they’re removing from it."

If people don't understand the purpose of Beta Testing, then they set themselves up for disappointment and problems, and often data loss.

Testing a product in daily production is a method of finding quirks and bugs more quickly.

Using it as your primary environment because you wanted the latest features before anybody else, is only asking for trouble.

Using it just for the sake of using it, and not being active in helping to identify, report, troubleshoot, and correct bugs, is NOT BETA TESTING.

That is a user, who simply wanted to play with the new toy.

Beta testing is taking a product which is known to be problematic, experimental, and not ready for daily use, and finding the problems, and helping to get it ready for daily use.

If it was considered functional and ready to use, then it would not be in Beta.

Does it do some stuff? Yes

Does it work as intended? No

Is it reliable? No

Can it be used? Yes, if you are prepared to have it suddenly die and possibly take something else with it (the gamble of all Beta software).

And, no... They are not done stripping out code. Much of the old code is simply deactivated. Which is a way of finding out whether the software can function without the code prior to actually stripping the code from the software.

You really went off the handle there. Also, you seem to have made assumptions that me or the OP are not reporting any bugs, or that you know our use cases. The OP hasn’t given any hint of theirs and I’ve only given a partial of mine.

Also, the ‘prototype’ would be an alpha build, rather than a beta.... ;)

Reactions: Wilburx3 and marzer

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
1. I think that other users and me know what a "beta" version is.
2. Beta is far from 'prototype'.
3. Nobody's disappointed from the issues, it's a forum for that purpose - to discuss them and there's nothing wrong with that.
4. "Using it just for the sake of using it, and not being active in helping to identify, report, troubleshoot, and correct bugs, is NOT BETA TESTING." is stupid statement. First, because you do not know how we are using it. Second, even if you somebody does not report bugs - a lot of data is being collected and sent to Apple automatically, so it is still somehow beneficial.

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
iTunes also works for me in Mojave.
But - Mojave is early beta, and you still have to be cautious.

You can try launching iTunes when you are logged in to another user account (and it's a good reason to make another account, just for troubleshooting the occasional problem in software.)

The suggestion about launching it in another user account helped.
@Taker1800

Justins567

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2018
Colorado, USA
I had the same issue on my company Macbook used for testing. Found that if i can beat the crash and hit "sign out" under account.. the issue stopped. gotta be pretty quick though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.