Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi guys.

iTunes on Windows.. *sigh*

No hardware acceleration - scrolling feels like watching a PowerPoint presentation.
Dragging the window around - lag.
Font smoothing - what's that?

I am an Apple Music user.. and am stuck using this unoptimized junk if I'm wanting to use a dedicated program for it.

What's Apple doing????

#WorldsBestCompany #WhatIsOptimization #IDontWantSpotify #PleaseNoSpotify

PC Specs:
CPU: 9700k water-cooled
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
GPU: Gigabyte 2080 Super

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
i gave up months ago, there are windows 10 and even 7 apps that can sync any ipad, ipod and many many more that replay music incredible(even on a mac. iCloud and apple-email for windows is alot worse.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Quite the irony. Windows is the only platform that still allows me to use iTunes 12.6.5.3 to download and manage apps locally to save bandwidth and manage tones without third party program or tricky workarounds.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Hi guys.

iTunes on Windows.. *sigh*

No hardware acceleration - scrolling feels like watching a PowerPoint presentation.
Dragging the window around - lag.
Font smoothing - what's that?

I am an Apple Music user.. and am stuck using this unoptimized junk if I'm wanting to use a dedicated program for it.

What's Apple doing????

#WorldsBestCompany #WhatIsOptimization #IDontWantSpotify #PleaseNoSpotify

PC Specs:
CPU: 9700k water-cooled
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
GPU: Gigabyte 2080 Super

Unfortunately iTunes on Windows has been atrocious for quite a while

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Unfortunately iTunes on Windows has been atrocious for quite a while
It’s a bit of a joke really. Paying customers are left with absolutely trash software.

Doesn’t really persuade any Windows users to try out Mac considering how ridiculously bad the coding on Windows iTunes is.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
A temporary solution would to use the Web version of Apple Music in a Chrome App? To have that "standalone" app you can launch for music.

I feel the same about iTunes on Windows - and all other apps on Windows too. Or programs as I think they are called in the Windows-verse

Reactions: -BigMac-

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
A temporary solution would to use the Web version of Apple Music in a Chrome App? To have that "standalone" app you can launch for music.

I feel the same about iTunes on Windows - and all other apps on Windows too. Or programs as I think they are called in the Windows-verse
Yea I agree but using the web version is a bit of a bandaid solution. They should really be providing a level of software for their paying customers which is better than that. *shrugs*

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

Just tried Web Apple Music.
To say it is slow and laggy is taking it kindly.
I get more fluidity and responsiveness browing and playing 4k videos on youtube.

Awkward times for Apple on windows..

Joeronzk

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2020
the windows version is just a crap. I upgraded to a newer version based on its own recommendation. Turned out it was messed up eventually. Now, all text menus are disappearing from the interface and tried uninstall/install multiple times without any luck.

Reactions: Yael-S.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
A big beef I had with iTunes on Windows was how it would make duplicates of the MP3s I import into the library, and back when I'd use Windows Media Player as a digital jukebox program on a PC, Windows Media Player would also detect the duplicates in the iTunes library! Of course when I got my first Apple product in 2008, an iPod Nano 4G for my 20th birthday, I was still using an HP laptop with Windows XP, and so I needed iTunes to sync my music, videos and photos.
Today, because I am a cross-platform user, I just keep all iTunes-related stuff on my Macs and I alternate in Windows Media Player and Groove Music on my Dell Optiplex 9010 desktop.

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
It's definitely Slowwwww.....I find using the up and down arrow keys was a bit faster when scrolling vs my mouse. It seems apple has restricted the program on purpose just to make a point. And I'm using a mac mini and it is no difference.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
It's definitely Slowwwww.....I find using the up and down arrow keys was a bit faster when scrolling vs my mouse. It seems apple has restricted the program on purpose just to make a point. And I'm using a mac mini and it is no difference.
Apple just showing all the Windows users how little they think of their Apple customer base.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
we should be Just happy the file sharing option works were PSD documents can
be saved from an iPad to a Dell XPS using itunes.
for now.

CapitalQ

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
A big beef I had with iTunes on Windows was how it would make duplicates of the MP3s I import into the library, and back when I'd use Windows Media Player as a digital jukebox program on a PC, Windows Media Player would also detect the duplicates in the iTunes library!
This was always a checkbox toggle in iTunes Preferences for Windows and Mac: "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library." I'm fairly certain it was even off by default!

MG1963

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2023
I really don't understand Apple here. Why not show you have the best user experience in the world, especially to you biggest rival's userbase. If you want people to buy Apple then don't treat them like something you scraped off your shoe after walk in a farmyard. I love my iPod, it does what I want, I record a lot of radio programs and listen to them on it. So I need to be able to identify new files and add these to the appropriate categories and to remove files I have listened to. The autoplaylists do this beautifully for me. Sadly the rest of the experience sucks such huge chunks it is almost not worth the hassle. If I could find an alternative software/device combination that would meet my needs I would change in a moment. If you know anything that might please, please let me know!

• Love
Reactions: -BigMac-

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I really don't understand Apple here. Why not show you have the best user experience in the world, especially to you biggest rival's userbase. If you want people to buy Apple then don't treat them like something you scraped off your shoe after walk in a farmyard. I love my iPod, it does what I want, I record a lot of radio programs and listen to them on it. So I need to be able to identify new files and add these to the appropriate categories and to remove files I have listened to. The autoplaylists do this beautifully for me. Sadly the rest of the experience sucks such huge chunks it is almost not worth the hassle. If I could find an alternative software/device combination that would meet my needs I would change in a moment. If you know anything that might please, please let me know!
Yep.

Honestly outside of jumping ship to Spotify, there isn't an alternative which provides a native experience as such.

I wonder if Apple have actually let go their whole Windows team.

iTunes on Windows is L O L
Boot camp has completely been scrapped already..

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I really don't understand Apple here. Why not show you have the best user experience in the world, especially to you biggest rival's userbase.

• iTunes is a way to organise and listen to music, without paying for an Apple Music subscription.
  • iTunes is a way to back up your device, without renting server space from Apple to fit an iCloud backup.
  • iTunes is a way to store Podcasts you can listen to over and over without generating new ad-insert streams.
So there's three reasons, at least. Why would Apple keep that app going, when they've already sold the device, and can push the customer to keep their phone in a direct relationship with Apple services, and not mediated through Windows.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
  • iTunes is a way to organise and listen to music, without paying for an Apple Music subscription.
  • iTunes is a way to back up your device, without renting server space from Apple to fit an iCloud backup.
  • iTunes is a way to store Podcasts you can listen to over and over without generating new ad-insert streams.
So there's three reasons, at least. Why would Apple keep that app going, when they've already sold the device, and can push the customer to keep their phone in a direct relationship with Apple services, and not mediated through Windows.
I can't answer the question, but I definitely like the "Store" part of iTunes for Windows much more than anything that now runs on my Macs and AppleTV's.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I can't answer the question, but I definitely like the "Store" part of iTunes for Windows much more than anything that now runs on my Macs and AppleTV's.

Yeah it is a bitter irony that as bad as iTunes was allowed to become, it's still better than the replacements on the Mac.

Reactions: bobcomer

Yael-S.

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2022
the windows version is just a crap. I upgraded to a newer version based on its own recommendation. Turned out it was messed up eventually. Now, all text menus are disappearing from the interface and tried uninstall/install multiple times without any luck.

Rhythmbox allows you to organize and play your music collection, as well as sync with portable music players.

It is always stable and fast and it supports many music formats.

I use Rhythmbox on GhostBSD which is an operating system with noticeably better default sound quality than windows11.

Rhythmbox's interface is also fairly similar to iTunes:

OLZ2Lxc.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.