Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mancdude90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2018
Hi everyone

I was just wondering if someone can confirm that the new iPad Pro can purchase movies via iTunes in 4K hdr, and that can be played on a tv screen via a usb c adapter? Has anyone tried it with any issues?

I bought the iPad Pro 11inch with the thought that I could connect my iPad via a usb c adapter to my Sony 4k hdr tv and enjoy movies that way rather than forking out for another Apple TV when I already have one (not the 4K version) but after reading the apple website, it quotes that..

‘ Video mirroring and video out support: up to 1080p through USB‑C Digital AV Multiport Adapter and USB‑C VGA Multiport Adapter (adapters sold separately)’

With no mention of 4k.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: azpekt

Hendo999

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2015
Hi everyone

I was just wondering if someone can confirm that the new iPad Pro can purchase movies via iTunes in 4K hdr, and that can be played on a tv screen via a usb c adapter? Has anyone tried it with any issues?

I bought the iPad Pro 11inch with the thought that I could connect my iPad via a usb c adapter to my Sony 4k hdr tv and enjoy movies that way rather than forking out for another Apple TV when I already have one (not the 4K version) but after reading the apple website, it quotes that..

‘ Video mirroring and video out support: up to 1080p through USB‑C Digital AV Multiport Adapter and USB‑C VGA Multiport Adapter (adapters sold separately)’

With no mention of 4k.

Any help would be appreciated.

I tested it. I was able to play 4K with Apples USB-C Digital adapter. About HDR a screen prompt tells that the adapter does not support HDR. Which adapter can output HDR then ?

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Only the Apple TV will playback 4K content from iTunes. The iPad Pro can output 4K but is just up scaling 1080p content to 4K. For 1080p HDR I believe you need an adaptor that supports 4K60

Mancdude90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2018
I tested it. I was able to play 4K with Apples USB-C Digital adapter. About HDR a screen prompt tells that the adapter does not support HDR. Which adapter can output HDR then ?

Oh great, I just experienced this with the USB adapter I bought. I was hoping that the official adapter would’ve been able to handle 4K hdr but it looks like it’s just HDR. (Even if it’s upscaled, it looks a lot better than 1080p).

Rather annoying because I was planning on buying an iPad and a 4K Apple TV but decided on spending a bit more on the pro thinking I could watch movies this way.

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
Well, you still can watch movies that way. It’s not like HDR is only 260p and everything look like a vhs transfer is it?

Hendo999

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2015
Oh great, I just experienced this with the USB adapter I bought. I was hoping that the official adapter would’ve been able to handle 4K hdr but it looks like it’s just HDR. (Even if it’s upscaled, it looks a lot better than 1080p).

Rather annoying because I was planning on buying an iPad and a 4K Apple TV but decided on spending a bit more on the pro thinking I could watch movies this way.
The picture looked very crisp. I don’t think it’s upscaling. I think when you download a movie from iTunes. It will download in 4K hdr iPad will only play 1080p and when you output via HDMI it will be 4K HDR. I got this popup in Danish language. It says my adapter does not support HDR but I can stream the movie in SDR

Attachments

• 41A785F7-A01D-4F77-B907-0026201A70E2.jpeg
    41A785F7-A01D-4F77-B907-0026201A70E2.jpeg
    581.9 KB · Views: 189

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
The picture looked very crisp. I don’t think it’s upscaling. I think when you download a movie from iTunes. It will download in 4K hdr iPad will only play 1080p and when you output via HDMI it will be 4K HDR. I got this popup in Danish language. It says my adapter does not support HDR but I can stream the movie in SDR

It doesn’t download 4K, download a film and check the size, it will be in the region of 6 to 7GB. To watch 4K you need to watch via Apple TV 4K, which only streams the 4K film. This is currently the only way to view iTunes content in 4K.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I bought a USB-C to HDMI adaptor on Amazon that says it does 4K and says it supported the new iPad Pro and has tons of good ratings, but it seems like when I'm playing back iTunes movies my 4K monitor is saying it's getting a 1440p signal. Weird! I still need to do some testing with apps. I might have to send back the adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.