Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beauthaine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
Hi there,

After switching to Apple Music and iCloud Music Library on my iPhone, the playlist that I constantly update is sorted on my phone by the order in which the songs are placed in the playlist, i.e. sorted by the column at the very top left with the arrow up or down.

The problem is: when I add songs on iTunes to this playlist, they are automatically placed at the bottom of the playlist, meaning on my phone you have to scroll down to the bottom to access these new songs. Not ideal!

This can be remedied by rearranging manually, however:

I would like to know if it is possible add songs to the top of playlists by default?

Thanks!

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Do you have iTunes on a Mac? If so open iTunes, pick a play list, then from the menu at the top open "View" > View As "Songs", clip in the "Name" header, it will then reverse sort your play list (old windows trick). Not quite the same as you asked, but close.

Reactions: Partron22

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
All that Allyance's way will do is list your playlist in Name order; ie, alphabetical order. If you add a new track it will be inserted in it's place in that list.

In the iTunes View Menu, choose "Playlist Order". You can then rearrange the track order as you like. If you also tick "Descending", any new track will be placed first in the list

Reactions: Partron22

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I now have a related issue.
Adding a song that's playing from a generated playlist (say one of the 'For You' curated ones) to a personal iCloud Playlist adds it to the very beginning of the playlist instead last in queue. If I go to any other device and check the same playlist it will be indeed there at the beginning.

I'm used to the opposite, to add them always to the last as every other device behaves that way by default.
A bit annoying to add it and then have to scroll drag it all the way down.

Is there a way to pin point these small bugs to apple? I find frustrating that I find TONS of little things like this on FCPX, Music, Safari, etc etc but there's no easy way to communicate these.

brunosh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2014
Still no option to add songs to the top of a playlist after all this years. It’s mind blowing how can’t Apple add such a needed (and I assume easy to add) feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.