Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dumpfbacke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2023
Hi,

In the past, I used to play tracks with a higher rating, i.e. more stars, more often in the iTunes settings for random playback.
This no longer exists ? Maybe since the app iTunes is now called Music 🤷‍♂️

Or am I just not finding it ?
thanks

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You can still rate songs (using stars), sort by rating, and build smart playlists by rating. It's not as in your face as it used to be, but it's still there.

dumpfbacke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2023
I use the star ratings a lot, on iTunes before it became Music, and I don’t think I’ve ever noticed it influence how often a song plays either way

but there was a difference, it worked with iTunes but mot with Music anymore.
But you have to (or could) say in iTunes settings that it plays tracks with a higher rating more often.
It was just a click ;)

Well, it's a shame that more and more useful little helpers and functions that are actually a matter of course on the Mac are disappearing.

and build smart playlists by rating
So I have to to it myself now ? an how ? "Siri make a Random playlist by rating" didnt work :)
oh wonder :))

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I use the star ratings a lot, on iTunes before it became Music, and I don’t think I’ve ever noticed it influence how often a song plays either way
I completely agree with this. I have used iTunes extensively since Soundjam 1.0, and I can safely say ratings never had an impact on random playback.

Reactions: kitKAC

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Random playback of my entire collection is maddening. Nothing says fun like metal interspersed with pop and a dollop of book chapters…

• Haha
Reactions: decafjava

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Random playback of my entire collection is maddening. Nothing says fun like metal interspersed with pop and a dollop of book chapters…
Yea, kind of like in Apple Music the "New Music" playlist that intersperses Rock, Chill, Classical and Soundtracks based on my varied listening.

• Angry
Reactions: leifp
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.