Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcalict

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
iTunes 12.9.5 via Retroactive on a 2013 iMac running Catalina. Reason-being, my brother's 2007 iMac recently died, he's suffered 2 strokes and is comfortable listening to his music collection via iTunes. Curiously, when we insert a CD into the external Superdrive, it mounts to the desktop, as expected, but doesn't appear in iTunes. You also cannot Add to Library from the CD, even though it will come up via a file selection window. Any thoughts on this?

Belatedly, I realized we could just import it all into Apple Music. But due to the strokes, I was trying to change as little as possible for my brother's sake.

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
Catalina and later versions of macOS use a process called AMPDeviceDiscoveryAgent to detect the insertion of iPods and IOS devices for subsequent syncing by Finder. This can lead to conflicts with iTunes which also wants to detect and sync the devices. It may be that AMPDeviceDiscoveryAgent is also used to detect the insertion of CDs (I don't know, but it seems like a reasonable guess). To test this, exit iTunes and/or Music if they're running, and eject the CD. Then, open a terminal and kill AMPDeviceDiscoveryAgent with the following command:
Code:
pkill AMPDeviceDiscoveryAgent
Now start iTunes and reinsert the CD. If this helps, there are ways of killing AMPDeviceDiscoveryAgent at login time.

mcalict

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
It may be that AMPDeviceDiscoveryAgent is also used to detect the insertion of CDs (I don't know, but it seems like a reasonable guess). To test this, exit iTunes and/or Music if they're running, and eject the CD. Then, open a terminal and kill AMPDeviceDiscoveryAgent with the following command:
Code:
pkill AMPDeviceDiscoveryAgent
Now start iTunes and reinsert the CD. If this helps, there are ways of killing AMPDeviceDiscoveryAgent at login time.

I really appreciate the info and your patience with my response time...

Was able to test your suggestion and it worked like a charm! After killing the process, the CD was inserted and recognized by iTunes. Very happy.

Reactions: Grumpus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.