Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HMI

Contributor
Original poster
May 23, 2012
This is my first time ever using the iTunes Store Pre-Order option.

I could swear that the movie (Top Gun: Maverick) showed as a 4K purchase before I clicked Pre-Order, but now, afterwards, it only shows as an HD Pre-Order purchase.

Could someone please try this out and let me know what they see?

Thanks!

Forge64

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2022
What device are you checking from? Shows 4K on my ATV, but HD on my iPhone, most movies show that way.

HMI

Contributor
Original poster
May 23, 2012
10.5” IPP

So, you’re saying that they only offer the resolution that is viewable on the device you purchase from?
Maybe that’s it, but that seems more confusing if you didn’t already know that their system works that way.

I’ve purchased actual 4k movies on this iPad before. I’ve just never pre-ordered any movies before.

Do they only offer HD versions for download until the theatrical run is complete? And, then, they release the 4k version?

I really don’t know.

Forge64

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2022
When you go to a movie listing to purchase, and it says "HD" or "4K" or "Dolby Vision", it shows you the highest available. When you've bought it and go to that same listing, it shows you the highest tags that will download/stream/play to your device. Your copy of Top Gun 2 is still UHD. It's UHD all the time. It's never not UHD. When you pull it up on an iPad, it says "HD" because no shipping iPad has a 4K or higher screen. That may change down the road. You're not getting ripped off, just relax.

They do only ever offer 720p or 1080p downloads, though. Only live streams can go to 4K.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.