Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skp574

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2005
greenwich.london.uk
I have got myself an Airport Express and am streaming tunes to a hifi in the kitchen. It works really well with no network stalling.

Before I go and buy more, I would like to know if you can stream to multiple APEs at the same time. Or is it limited to a single APE at a time?

I would also like to listen to music on my iMac and the APEs at the same time. For some reason the music doesn't at the moment with my single APE. Is there a hack to get it to play on both at the same time?

While I'm on the topic of iTunes, is it possible to control the playback of iTunes from another computer. Let me explain... I have an iMac with all my music library on it in the study. I also have a PowerBook which I would like to control the playback of the iMac library from the kitchen.

I can (at the moment) share the library which the PB connects to and then connect to the APE in the kitchen. But I would like to be able to turn off the PB but leave the music playing from iMac. Essentially using the PB as a remote control and not as an iTunes client. Can this be done?

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Before I go and buy more, I would like to know if you can stream to multiple APEs at the same time. Or is it limited to a single APE at a time?

Thus far, you can only stream to one at a time (as far as i know.)

I would also like to listen to music on my iMac and the APEs at the same time. For some reason the music doesn't at the moment with my single APE. Is there a hack to get it to play on both at the same time?

The way I do this is with multiple accounts... though I'm not listening to the same music at both places, I can have on account stream to the APE while I browse music with the other, independantly.

While I'm on the topic of iTunes, is it possible to control the playback of iTunes from another computer. Let me explain... I have an iMac with all my music library on it in the study. I also have a PowerBook which I would like to control the playback of the iMac library from the kitchen.

I have the same setup, but with a mac mini instead of pb. I don't know how to do this, but would like to be able to... I know it's possible, the next poster i'm sure will enlighten us.

skp574

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2005
greenwich.london.uk
Thanks pdpfilms for the pointers.

I know you can always use VNC to control another computer thus you can control iTunes. But I find controlling a 20" iMac on a 15" PB a pain (no screen scaling). I have Apple Remote Desktop as well which works, but I'd like a simpler way to do it.

It would be nice if a programme such as Synergy can hook into an iTunes library on another machine and not just the local library. Maybe the new up coming version may do it....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.