Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Just noticed this in itunes: some of the new classical selections violate the 99-cent/song rule. For example, you can buy the entire Brendal Mozart Piano Concertos 22 and 27 CD for $9.99, or you can buy each concerto separately--not for 99 cents, but $5.97 and $5.47 respectively.

This doesn't really violate the rule, because each concerto is actually three tracks, purchasable by album only. But this system does make a lot of sense for classical music, because if I already have Concerto 22, I don't have to buy it twice in order to get Concerto 27.

ebow

macrumors 6502a
Futhermore, if one could sum up the number of albums that cost more than $9.99, I think it would come to around 25-33% of all offerings. :p Oftentimes the prices I see easily approach those I could find in some of the non-premium stores.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Unfortunately, some artists/albums were not able to be negotiated for the 99¢ fee, and long tracks are usually more, as well.

Yes, it's inconsistent, but I don't believe the fault lies with Apple.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Unfortunately, some artists/albums were not able to be negotiated for the 99¢ fee, and long tracks are usually more, as well.

This seems to imply that some tracks sell for more than 99 cents. Other than the example I mention above (which isn't technically a "track"), I've never seen this. Do you have any examples?

Ebow, do you have examples of album prices approaching "non-premium stores?" It seems to me that the albums that are $12.99 on ITMS are the ones that are $16 or $17 in stores.

To me, the big advantage of "violating" the 99-cent rule, for classical music at least, is that very often a Tchaikovsky CD, for example, will "throw in" the 1812 overture. After a while you have four or five CDs with the 1812 overture. By charging more than 99 cents for a longer work (like $5.47 for a 30-minute concerto), you're able to get good deals on tracks that would normally be "album onl." You're not forced to buy music you already own, so I don't think of this as a negative at all.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
All in all, I like iTunes - but some of my experiences have been annoying. Like the other day: my daughter asked me "do you know this song, bye bye miss american pie?" That in itself made me smile, given that 'American Pie' was probably the first pop song I ever listened to! But when I went over to itms to see if I could buy it... I found you can buy every OTHER song on the album, but not that one. If you want it, you have to buy the album.

The song is a long one, but this practice bugs me in principle. It's not like they give you a discount for short tracks; Blur's "Song 2" for example. It's also not as if there are only two or three songs on the album.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
wordmunger-

A notable, non-classical example is Pink Floyd. On certain albums, longer tracks are only available if you buy the whole album...and an album with less than 10 tracks may cost more than $9.99.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Oh, I see what you mean, Rower_CPU. Yeah, that sucks--$.99/song but if you want "Money" you have to buy the whole album for $16.99. But have you seen individual tracks for sale for over $.99?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I thought I had, but a couple of quick searches aren't turning anything up for me, other than some classical "tracks", like you've found.

ebow

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by wordmunger
This seems to imply that some tracks sell for more than 99 cents. Other than the example I mention above (which isn't technically a "track"), I've never seen this. Do you have any examples?

Ebow, do you have examples of album prices approaching "non-premium stores?" It seems to me that the albums that are $12.99 on ITMS are the ones that are $16 or $17 in stores.

A number of Queen albums (even the non-double-discs) are around or more than $13. At least 3 David Bowie albums are $13.99. Yeah, most of Pink Floyd's albums are up there too. Perhaps I exaggerated when I said they were approaching store prices--it's been a while since I've done a lot of CD shopping (and even in the pre-Napster era I was a BMG club junkie who also went to used CD stores).

I guess in contrast to the examples I mentioned above, there appear to be numerous albums that are actually less than $9.99. See the selection for Talking Heads (if interested). Too bad I own them all anyway (and nearly all of them on vinyl to boot! :cool: ).

andyduncan

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
A lot of artists <flame>usually the older ones who don't "get it"</flame> like Don McLean and the Eagles (no hotel california as a single), refuse to sell their most popular songs as single tracks. It's a terribly myopic viewpoint. I understand Pink Floyd's argument more than Don's or the Eagles', as money really benefits from the album. But let the customer make that decision. I say: if people want to buy your music, you're retarded for not making it available to them in every way possible.

andyduncan

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
oh, and albums that contain less than 10 tracks are always (almost always?) priced less than $9.99, as otherwise there really wouldn't be much point in clicking "purchase album" on a five track disk. anyone know of any albums with 10 tracks or more that are priced lower than $9.99?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Originally posted by andyduncan
A lot of artists <flame>usually the older ones who don't "get it"</flame> like Don McLean and the Eagles (no hotel california as a single), ... <snip>

Well I know I was the one complaining about "American Pie" not being available as a single - but you really can't blame it on Don McLean. Why, you ask? Well, I answer... because he died a few years back. :rolleyes:

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
Anyone the notice that OutKast's new album is 19.98? I know that it sells for $18 at bestbuy. I like Outkast, but i would never pay that much for a cd, never. It seems a little crazy that a) a cd is that high priced to begin with, and that b) its even more in the iTMS.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Originally posted by csubear
Anyone the notice that OutKast's new album is 19.98? I know that it sells for $18 at bestbuy. I like Outkast, but i would never pay that much for a cd, never. It seems a little crazy that a) a cd is that high priced to begin with, and that b) its even more in the iTMS.

Well, it *is* a double CD, with 39 tracks (though admittedly a few of them are 1-minute intros). it still seems a little steep to me, but compared to $16.99 for Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the moon with only 9 songs, it's a bargain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.