Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
I'm a music professional and need to sync my iPhone with iTunes several times a day. My issue is, it keeps beeping, iPhone charging, but iTunes frequently will not sync with my iPhone SE 3rd gen. I have a 14 on the way but I doubt that will change things much. Is it because I use Mojave?

More importantly, is there a way to sync it wirelessly, without the USB cable? I realize I can after I've already connected it... Wireless sync is an option, but it seems iTunes has to update the iPhone at least once fully for that to happen. Grateful for any suggestions. Thank you.

renkui liu

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2023
This is because every time you open itunes, you need to update it, so when you plug in a usb cable, itunes will automatically open, and then it will automatically update. All you need to do is keep itunes up to date.

Reactions: Christopher11

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
This is because every time you open itunes, you need to update it, so when you plug in a usb cable, itunes will automatically open, and then it will automatically update. All you need to do is keep itunes up to date.
Okay but please tell me how to do this.

When I plug the iPhone in, iTunes automatically opens, usually, but fails to update / sync the phone. I opened Preferences and don't see how to update iTunes.

renkui liu

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2023
After opening the display menu, click the menu "Help" → "Check for Updates". If there is an updated iTunes on the server, an upgrade prompt window will pop up asking whether to upgrade。
This is what I did, and I'm not sure if I can help you.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
After opening the display menu, click the menu "Help" → "Check for Updates". If there is an updated iTunes on the server, an upgrade prompt window will pop up asking whether to upgrade。
This is what I did, and I'm not sure if I can help you.
Please explain how to open 'the display menu'. I don't know how that's different from what I'm doing when i open iTunes. The only thing I found was this: Open iTunes. From the menu bar at the top of the iTunes window, choose Help > Check for Updates. Follow the prompts to install the latest version.

However there isn't an option in my Help menu to check for updates.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-17 at 11.39.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-17 at 11.39.42 PM.png
    321.8 KB · Views: 51

renkui liu

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2023
Oh, I'm sorry, this may be beyond my capabilities, and I'm not sure how to operate it anymore. Maybe our operating systems are quite different, right.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
You have to install the updates needed to connect newer iOS devices to macOS.
What you can try:
- open /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources MobileDeviceUpdater.app
if it says you need an update, update.

- manually install the updates, for newer version of macOS they are

Code:
http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/49/27/032-06683-A_QRHIJ4BQOQ/jf8jwh5ejfbm5a11c2wqj2a6ahu6hb0qx1/MobileDeviceOnDemand.pkg
http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/49/27/032-06683-A_QRHIJ4BQOQ/jf8jwh5ejfbm5a11c2wqj2a6ahu6hb0qx1/CoreTypes.pkg

I not sure if they will work for Mojave.

- use Apple Configurator https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-configurator/id1037126344

Reactions: Peter Franks

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
In my experience, when it can't sync, it isn't getting enough power. do you have your cable plugged directly into the machine? Otherwise try a different cable.

Is there a reason you are using such an old macOS?

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
You have to install the updates needed to connect newer iOS devices to macOS.
What you can try:
- open /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources MobileDeviceUpdater.app
if it says you need an update, update.

- manually install the updates, for newer version of macOS they are

Code:
http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/49/27/032-06683-A_QRHIJ4BQOQ/jf8jwh5ejfbm5a11c2wqj2a6ahu6hb0qx1/MobileDeviceOnDemand.pkg
http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/49/27/032-06683-A_QRHIJ4BQOQ/jf8jwh5ejfbm5a11c2wqj2a6ahu6hb0qx1/CoreTypes.pkg

I not sure if they will work for Mojave.

- use Apple Configurator https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-configurator/id1037126344
Thank you, I did all that, but when I click on MobileDeviceUpdater app nothing happens.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Thank you, I did all that, but when I click on MobileDeviceUpdater app nothing happens.
Double-click on it or right-click and open.
I’ve just checked in Mojave and the links above are correct.
So, download and install MobileDeviceOnDemand.pkg & CoreTypes.pkg, if MobileDeviceUpdater.app doesn’t start for you.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Thank you, yeah, been double clicking on. I tried googling the download you suggested, couldn't find a link.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
In my experience, when it can't sync, it isn't getting enough power. do you have your cable plugged directly into the machine? Otherwise try a different cable.

Is there a reason you are using such an old macOS?
Hey there, thank you. Yeah, using Mojave because of Logic Pro X. It's vastly better for what I do, at this time. Okay, will try a different cable... maybe it is a voltage issue. Good thinking.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Hey there, thank you. Yeah, using Mojave because of Logic Pro X. It's vastly better for what I do, at this time. Okay, will try a different cable... maybe it is a voltage issue. Good thinking.
It's just odd that it works some times and not others, and cables that don't work for sync work fine charging from the wall with a USB cube.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Tell me please, where does the installer put this app? MobileDevice... I couldn't find it in Applications, nor with a search. Or do I just try double clicking on the app you previously suggested?
Once you have installed the two pgk files, restart and try to sync again. If it doesn't work with iTunes, try with Apple Configurator.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
How do I know these are secure? Can someone else chime in and let me know if these files are safe please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.