Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
I’m currently on iUP, however if I wanted to use a different iPhone and swap SIM cards, I still could, correct? It wouldn’t affect anything?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Note, US iPhone 14 and 15 only have eSIM slots. Swapping is easy if the carrier supports eSIM quick transfer or has reusable QR codes. Otherwise, it might be a PITA involving a long call to customer service.

Reactions: Givmeabrek

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I don’t think it really should be a problem. I have not done this, but it seems like (depending on who your carrier is) that it should be easy to move the eSIM from iPhone 1 to iPhone 2. I’m not sure the steps the OP would need to take if iPhone 2 has a physical SIM and does not support eSIM.

For example, I have a 15 Pro (on IUP) and SE 3 that I use for work. In settings, under cellular, I have the option to move my number from the 15 Pro to the SE 3. I haven’t done this before since I don’t have a need to swap/move eSIM, but if my 15 Pro was damaged beyond being able to use, I suspect it would be seamless to move my phone number to the SE 3.

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
I don’t think it really should be a problem. I have not done this, but it seems like (depending on who your carrier is) that it should be easy to move the eSIM from iPhone 1 to iPhone 2. I’m not sure the steps the OP would need to take if iPhone 2 has a physical SIM and does not support eSIM.

For example, I have a 15 Pro (on IUP) and SE 3 that I use for work. In settings, under cellular, I have the option to move my number from the 15 Pro to the SE 3. I haven’t done this before since I don’t have a need to swap/move eSIM, but if my 15 Pro was damaged beyond being able to use, I suspect it would be seamless to move my phone number to the SE 3.
Well in my scenario, it would be if I got the 15, since I have the 15 pro on iUP, I could switch back and forth between the two when I choose. I just don’t know if there will be any issues with the iUP but I don’t think so.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Well in my scenario, it would be if I got the 15, since I have the 15 pro on iUP, I could switch back and forth between the two when I choose. I just don’t know if there will be any issues with the iUP but I don’t think so.
IUP won’t cause problems. That doesn’t mean it’ll be “easy;” just no harder than without iUP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.