Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
I have a very small almost invisible crack on the back of my Pro 11 leased through IUP. Of course I have AppleCare so could get it repaired for $99 but the crack is So small it doesn’t bother me so I’ve never bothered to swap it for a new device. Plus figured if it breaks again then I’d have saved $99 for the second repair.

Now that the new 12 is nearing release, wondering what will happen if I just turn the phone in and they see the crack? Will they just charge me the $99 repair fee (which I’m perfectly willing to pay), or will they reject it and then make me get it fixed and then send it in?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Just get the phone replaced. If they find the crack and refuse to give you the upgrade, it will complicate the process. If you’re already willing to pay the $99, I wouldn’t risk the delay/hassle of sorting it out. It already looks like the new phones will be delayed so you have time to get it sorted out..

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I have a very small almost invisible crack on the back of my Pro 11 leased through IUP. Of course I have AppleCare so could get it repaired for $99 but the crack is So small it doesn’t bother me so I’ve never bothered to swap it for a new device. Plus figured if it breaks again then I’d have saved $99 for the second repair.

Now that the new 12 is nearing release, wondering what will happen if I just turn the phone in and they see the crack? Will they just charge me the $99 repair fee (which I’m perfectly willing to pay), or will they reject it and then make me get it fixed and then send it in?

• Physical Condition. Your Financed iPhone must be in good physical and operational condition, as determined solely by Apple or Apple’s trade-in service provider (“Trade-In Service Provider”). It must (i) power on and hold a charge; (ii) have an intact and functioning display; and (iii) cannot have any breaks or cracks.
  • Repairs and Service Replacements. Any repair or service replacement of the Financed iPhone prior to Upgrade must be done at an Apple Store, through an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or under the AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss plan.

Reactions: blackjackmark

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Thanks everyone for the replies. sounds like per the Terms and conditions that, as long as you are eligible for an AppleCare repeiar, they’ll take care if it and presumably just charge me when I turn it in. Bold sentEnce below is my emphasis.
  1. Repairs and Service Replacements. If your Financed iPhone is not in good physical and operational condition when you exercise your Upgrade Option, you will need to exercise your service rights set forth in the applicable AppleCare+ for iPhone Terms and Conditions or AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss Terms and Conditions, including paying any applicable service fee(s) required under the AppleCare+ Plan. In the event you have exhausted your service rights, or the repair is not covered under the AppleCare+ Plan, you must have your Financed iPhone repaired or replaced at an Apple Store or through an Apple Authorized Service Provider at the prevailing service or out of warranty replacement rates. If you are upgrading via apple.com and repairs are not available under the AppleCare+ Plan as outlined above, your original iPhone will be returned to you, the Installment Loan associated with the original Financed iPhone will be reinstated, and you will be responsible for any outstanding installment payments, as well as any installment payments under your New Installment Loan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.