Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
Here’s my not very scientific experience but it proves a point.

When the SE launched there was a bunch of comments saying horrible battery life, having to charge twice per day etc. I was nervous getting my son one but went ahead, I used it for a day or two, no issues with battery, I had about 40% battery left at the end of the day, I was impressed. So much so I went and bought myself one a few months later.

it’s been a pain in the ass, i could kill that battery in a day, I’ve blamed iOS 14, blamed Apple watches, done various fixes and nothing worked, so I had a thought, I’ll swap phones again with my son.

So his has 96% battery health, mine has 100, both iOS 14.0.1. using that phone at the end of the day 30% battery, my own phone didn’t make it through the day for my son which according to him has never happened before.

Can someone explain how this happens? I’m thinking my best bet is just to sell, I can’t be bothered explaining all this to Apple who won’t listen anyway.

Reactions: Ar02

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Different usage?

Different networks?

Both devices on WiFi or Cellular for the same time using the same towers?

Settings the same?

Too many variables to compare devices like that.

Reactions: dz5b609

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
What’s Genius Bar saying about it? 4% battery drain over a few months of usage should warrant a replacement. From there you can always sell it and get another model.

A bit unrelated but this concerns me of getting the new 12 Mini for the wife. Smaller body = smaller batteries that would deteriorate faster than bigger cells. A big tradeoff for a mere pocketability.

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
What’s Genius Bar saying about it? 4% battery drain over a few months of usage should warrant a replacement. From there you can always sell it and get another model.

A bit unrelated but this concerns me of getting the new 12 Mini for the wife. Smaller body = smaller batteries that would deteriorate faster than bigger cells. A big tradeoff for a mere pocketability.
The 4% battery drain is in my sons phone which is actually performing batter than mine at 100%

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Don’t use the Battery Health indicator or Apple's Genius Bar to determine battery health. They are both wildly optimistic, and that’s being polite. Get Coconut Battery and see what it tells you. My current 1st gen SE shows 88% Battery Health. Last 2 readings with Coconut Battery were 32% and 27%. It desperately needs a new battery. It has an appointment for one next week. Apple will tell me it doesn’t need one. It will get one.

Reactions: Jxdawg

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
Don’t use the Battery Health indicator or Apple's Genius Bar to determine battery health. They are both wildly optimistic, and that’s being polite. Get Coconut Battery and see what it tells you. My current 1st gen SE shows 88% Battery Health. Last 2 readings with Coconut Battery were 32% and 27%. It desperately needs a new battery. It has an appointment for one next week. Apple will tell me it doesn’t need one. It will get one.
Ok but my phone is just 1 month old, brand new

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
The SE has a fairly small battery to begin with. If an app or one of the previously mentioned variables is off, the difference will be more noticeable. 4% over a few months is fairly high. I bought mine in May and it is at 98%.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Different apps installed, different settings, different usage pattern, etc. There are so many variables that it is impossible to make a conclusion simply by a simple observation like this.
If you want, reset both phones to factory, and then restore your backup to your son's phone (and restore his backup to your phone) and then see how both phones perform.

Reactions: dz5b609

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
Different apps installed, different settings, different usage pattern, etc. There are so many variables that it is impossible to make a conclusion simply by a simple observation like this.
If you want, reset both phones to factory, and then restore your backup to your son's phone (and restore his backup to your phone) and then see how both phones perform.
That’s exactly what I did. Perhaps I should have made this clearer in my original post. I reset both phones and restored from backup, both during a week day to cut out any abnormal usage as weekday usage is essentially the same.

Even now it’s 1pm in UK, my phone is sitting 48%,never have I had a phone at that percentage at this time of the day.

mguzzi

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Columbia SC

Seriously - are there any Apple Stores or Genius bars open in the US right now with Covid. Apple's Phone tech support has become horrible.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
OP - Try setting it up as a new phone. Just use the basics, no social media etc if you can help it and see if there is a noticeable drain or app in battery usage that stands out.

Reactions: snipr125

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
Its the same 1800mAh battery as the iPhone 8. Common sence says that it will be awful. Must have for it is the Apple battery case, if you want it to last a day or two. I purchased a SE on release date and sent it back the next day after receiving it. Battery not up par for my usage and I wasn't going to fork another $100 for the case.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Seriously - are there any Apple Stores or Genius bars open in the US right now with Covid. Apple's Phone tech support has become horrible.
Fort Lauderdale has been open the entire time as best I know. I don’t visit it daily or weekly, but the Genius Bar has been available the 2 times I’ve needed it and there’s a line in front every time I pass it. I doubt this is the only location with an open store.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
The 6,7,8,and SE all have worse battery life than the plus of each number and every other bigger phone.

This is not new news.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
My iPhone 8 is 3 yrs old..still using its original battery. Battery health shows 87%. This post probably doesn’t help your situation but posted it for comparison. E97BD02E-5545-4467-814A-48C28951B7F2.jpeg

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007

When the SE launched there was a bunch of comments saying horrible battery life, having to charge twice per day etc. I was nervous getting my son one but went ahead, I used it for a day or two, no issues with battery, I had about 40% battery left at the end of the day, I was impressed. So much so I went and bought myself one a few months later.

it’s been a pain in the ass, i could kill that battery in a day, I’ve blamed iOS 14, blamed Apple watches, done various fixes and nothing worked, so I had a thought, I’ll swap phones again with my son.

So his has 96% battery health, mine has 100, both iOS 14.0.1. using that phone at the end of the day 30% battery, my own phone didn’t make it through the day for my son which according to him has never happened before.

Can someone explain how this happens? I’m thinking my best bet is just to sell, I can’t be bothered explaining all this to Apple who won’t listen anyway.
Oh ok..

Ar02

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020

Same here bought the se noticed the battery drain from the very next day thought it was just cuz of migrating apps and data frm old phone then did a reset but same now im getting around 1hr16min of screen on frm using only whatsapp, imessage and mail. its just been 5days since i bought the phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.