Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
I've been an iPhone user since the 3G. I've spent a lot of time at the Genius Bar over the years, mainly in those first few years of the iPhone's initial existence. As the techie in the family, I'm constantly referring people to the Genius Bar to find solutions to problems I can't address over the phone. Until now. I will forever give my recommendations to the Apple Store an asterisk. Sad. This is why....

My dad called me up the other day complaining that his ear piece speaker wasn't loud and everyone sounded distant. My initial suspicion was that he needed to clean out the area. I sent him to Google (as I was driving) to look at different ways to clean the speaker area. He tried a few things with no luck. I said: Take the phone to the Apple Store, they should be able to diagnose what's going on. Or so we thought.

The next day, he's off to the Genius Bar. I get a phone call from him and he says the Genius states it's a $199 out-of-warranty repair screen replacement (since the speaker is attached to the screen). The Genius then went on to tell him that Apple would be willing to take the phone as a $220 trade-in towards a new phone. That's what the Genius thought he should do. He then went on to tell him that he shouldn't repair his iPhone 11 because it's soon to be obsoleted and the "4G LTE" networks are being shut down soon. He said it doesn't make sense to a fix a phone that's soon to be obsoleted this year-

Let me interrupt here. On what frickn planet would a GENIUS at the Apple Store tell people that an iPhone 11 is going to be obsolete this year due to the LTE being eliminated?????!!! Have we gone mad? I would expect this at a back alley repair shop trying to make a few bucks off of a 72 year old man, but THE APPLE STORE? Com'n man! That's a new level of incompetence or deception...I can't really tell which it is. It gets better.

- so my dad is left with three options A) Paying $200 to fix the screen B) Trade-in the phone for $220 towards a new $800 phone or C) Take it to a local repair shop to get the screen fixed for about $100. I told my dad to go to a local repair shop and make sure that whatever they fix won't come with annoying popups after the work has been completed and to also verify with them that everything is in working order before the repair (my last 3rd party repair, the guy broke my Face-ID and blamed it on me). I told my dad this because I didn't trust local repair shops. My intuition lied to me.

Today, my dad tells me he's going to the local repair shop to get his screen fixed for $90. He brings the phone in and the tech says that there's nothing wrong with the phone. They just need to do a deep cleaning to restore volume. $35 dollars and 15 minutes later, my dad calls me on the phone and says "I'm calling you from my phone and it's extremely loud!".

That's the story. It's anecdotal, but still shocking. Apple's branding is built on trust and this experience completely negates that trust with me. Not only did the Genius give incorrect, shady, and generally terrible info, he didn't even diagnose the problem! At the beginning of the story, I told you my initial gut reaction to what I thought was wrong: dirty speaker, needs cleaning. Why would someone who spends 8 hours a day fixing Apple products not attempt this first? It's extremely shady and mind boggling. The whole experience was terrible and that's why "I've Lost Faith In The Genius Bar".

Last edited:

DR3MCLAREN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2021
Calgary Canada
I had a bad experience last year too. Took my 6 month old iphone 12 mini in to the genius bar for battery issues. It had lost 20% battery health in 6 months and I was under the impression they would warranty swap either the battery or phone on the spot like the had done in the past for me whenever I had a warranty issue. Instead they tell me that they have to ship it to apple to be inspected because the battery was draining too fast. They had me wipe my phone and they took a bunch of photos of it before shipping it off. My phone was mint. It had been in an apple leather case since day one and had a full tempered glass screen cover. They gave me a beat up old iphone 8 as a loaner phone for the week and sent me on my way.

A week later I get a text from Apple that my phone is ready for pick up. So back to the store I go. When I get there they give my phone back, with the original battery and tell me its operating withing normal paramaters. I take it out of the sleeve it was shipped in and the screen protector is gone and the actual screen is covered in scratch marks. The frame has gouges and pry marks where they levered the screen off. I ask to speak to the manager about it and demand the phone be replaced because its not operating as it should and now its been damaged by them. He said I need to prove they did the damage and I mentioned the photos that they took when the phone was dropped off and he said there are no such photos and told me that I'm lying about the photos ever having been taken in the first place. He told me that he would not replace the phone because the damage was already there and that the battery was not replaced because it was fine. It came back from the testing with a battery that was now below 79% battery health and they still would not warranty it.

It was the single worst experience I've had there. Every other time I've been in there over the past 10-12 years the service has been nothing short of excellent.

In the end I think it all comes down to who you get to deal with. Most of the time they are good. But every once in a while there will be a bad one.

Vazor

macrumors regular
May 7, 2020
I had a bad experience last year too. Took my 6 month old iphone 12 mini in to the genius bar for battery issues. It had lost 20% battery health in 6 months and I was under the impression they would warranty swap either the battery or phone on the spot like the had done in the past for me whenever I had a warranty issue. Instead they tell me that they have to ship it to apple to be inspected because the battery was draining too fast. They had me wipe my phone and they took a bunch of photos of it before shipping it off. My phone was mint. It had been in an apple leather case since day one and had a full tempered glass screen cover. They gave me a beat up old iphone 8 as a loaner phone for the week and sent me on my way.

A week later I get a text from Apple that my phone is ready for pick up. So back to the store I go. When I get there they give my phone back, with the original battery and tell me its operating withing normal paramaters. I take it out of the sleeve it was shipped in and the screen protector is gone and the actual screen is covered in scratch marks. The frame has gouges and pry marks where they levered the screen off. I ask to speak to the manager about it and demand the phone be replaced because its not operating as it should and now its been damaged by them. He said I need to prove they did the damage and I mentioned the photos that they took when the phone was dropped off and he said there are no such photos and told me that I'm lying about the photos ever having been taken in the first place. He told me that he would not replace the phone because the damage was already there and that the battery was not replaced because it was fine. It came back from the testing with a battery that was now below 79% battery health and they still would not warranty it.

It was the single worst experience I've had there. Every other time I've been in there over the past 10-12 years the service has been nothing short of excellent.

In the end I think it all comes down to who you get to deal with. Most of the time they are good. But every once in a while there will be a bad one.
Had the exact same thing happen to my MacBook.

mciarlo

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
New York City
I remember taking a 2009 17" MacBook Pro to Apple because of graphics issues. They replaced the entire logic board for free and I never had an issue.

This year alone I'm on repair number 3 for my AirPods Max. The service and reliability of some products is abysmal.

Reactions: willchris

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think it just depends on who you get. Some of these 'geniuses' are either motivated by the wrong things (commission off a 72 year old) or unmotivated by the right things (fixing what the company broke and not blaming it on the customer).

For me, this all started in 2015 when I got a screen replacement. My iPhone was jailbroken, I didn't hide it and Apple's policy had changed by that point to allow for repairs on jailbroken devices. The genius knew this, ignored my advice on restoring a jailbroken device and basically gave me an attitude the entire time. This was around the release of iOS 9.

The result was that because they didn't restore correctly, they couldn't install iOS 9 on my iPhone so they gave me a replacement for the price of the screen repair. It was not the original genius giving me the new phone.

Fast forward to this year and I have an appointment to replace my 11 Pro Max, which I've accidentally smashed beyond all repair. Genius meeting me for check-in says "You have no appointment." Which is BS, because I scheduled through Apple's site. They worked me in and the guy I actually dealt with was cool - but it didn't start off well.

This is why I always backup, turn off Find My, Erase All Contents and Settings, and set up as new before I ever enter the Apple store now (since 2015). I just don't want to hear it. It's done, I've taken care of the first part of YOUR job. You do the rest and don't give me any hassle over it. I'm not here for the coffee klatch that these guys seem to like to engage in.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
I've had Geniuses clean out earpieces before no problem - and just a few years ago at that. I'd tried doing it myself - they brought out a super fine bristle brush and managed to get the gunk out.

I think it's probably less an Apple policy and more that the quality of the staff they hire keeps dropping. There's more than a little truth to the comments about "no one wants to work anymore".

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
I'm fortunate not to have had these experiences, but jeez, these are not representations of what I EXPECT from the Apple Store. As the number of Apple Stores grew, I worried that the supply of true "Geniuses" would not be able to keep up...but that's not my problem, it's Apple's...until it DOES become someone's problem.

FWIW I have had very good experiences traditionally (including recently) with Apple PHONE support. I had a recurring issue that it turned out was due to a corrupted external Time Machine drive...but while we were figuring that out, multiple phone techs and in-store Geniuses were very patient and thorough, until we did in fact find the problem. And that's not the first time I've had patient help from their phone support.

But, whew, I'm glad I haven't experienced what's being described here.

Reactions: eyoungren

Mezoxin

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
told my dad to go to a local repair shop and make sure that whatever they fix won't come with annoying popups after the work has been completed
Regardless of this specific situation, all iphones from the 11 series have hardware components that are digitally locked , and they dont sell original spare parts anymore to any third party repair shops unless they are apple authorized , so in the future if u ever need to change a battery or screen just make sure you do it at an Apple authorized repair shop in order to get genuine parts
And dont rely on the error message or having features like face id or true tone or battery health not working as a way to determine that you got original components because that’s easily bypassed by specific hardware programing devices that tricks your phone that its using its original components

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
I have repeatedly said on here that in recent years Apple retail and services staff has declined more and more in terms of knowledge, competence, and politeness. Some people don't see it, or refuse to, but I am glad more people are beginning to voice their discontent here. No one is saying that all customers are having bad experiences, just that there are too many instances of them. This is yet another example.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I have repeatedly said on here that in recent years Apple retail and services staff has declined more and more in terms of knowledge, competence, and politeness. Some people don't see it, or refuse to, but I am glad more people are beginning to voice their discontent here. No one is saying that all customers are having bad experiences, just that there are too many instances of them. This is yet another example.
Its not even just retail staff, but T1 and T2 support staff as well. More and more I find myself having to request to speak with Consumer Relations at the beginning of the call because I get the runaround from T1 & T2.

Best service I ever had was 2012-2018, but since then it has gone down hill. So much so that Consumer Relations told me to stop going to my local Apple Store for repairs due to complaints and issues. My local store damaged two iMacs and a MacBook. Each had to be replaced in its entirety by Consumer Relations.

I'm a die-hard Apple user, but I'll be the first to admit that service has declined significantly over the last few years.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So this decision is based on (likely) one tech at one Genius Bar location? I'd wait until I had 2-3 negative experiences at the Genius Bar to write it off completely. Patterns tell a better story than one-offs.
In my case, all my Apple store experiences have been with one store from 2012 to 2022.

Arrowhead Towne Center.

It was great in 2012, not so great by 2022.

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
What type of educational background do the “Geniuses“ need to have to get a job repairing iPhones and Macs at the Apple Store? Generally at engineering companies a technician has to have the equivalent of a two year Associate of Science degree.

63W

macrumors regular
May 10, 2020
I live in Montgomery county, MD. A mile away from Bethesda and few miles away from Potomac.

We have two Apple stores in the area. One store is smack in the middle of Bethesda and a second store is less than a mile away from Potomac.

Why am I telling you this?

People who live in Bethesda, especially if they are home owners, have great income. People who live in Potomac, make even more money.

In my limited observation, our Apple stores will push to sell you a newer product instead of fixing an issue. Because people in the area have money and many, not all, people will gladly spend the money for a new product, instead of fighting it to get their current apple product fixed.

Over the years people have become complacent and have put too much trust in to Apple Genius hands.

Some people who come from lower income, will stand up and fight Apple Genius advice. Unfortunately, most people aren’t tech savvy and Apple Genius continue to take advantage of non tech savvy people, regardless of their income.

Years ago I used to work as a tech at a local Microcenter store and I hated up selling products and services customers who didn’t need, even thought it was expected of me as a tech.
Microcenter used to push ESET NOD32 antivirus on customers like it was the end of the world.

Last edited:

mbaran

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
Genius Bar issues here too. My iPhone 14 Pro has a weird physical screen defect (not sitting flush, sunlight causes a weird halo effect) and even though they can see the issue and a display phone doesn’t do it, they won’t replace it. It passes all of the software tests therefore it must be perfect. Apparently this can’t be overridden.

I setup a return and will just have to buy a new one.

WoodTableFromIkea

Suspended
Sep 23, 2022
Florida
I've been an iPhone user since the 3G. I've spent a lot of time at the Genius Bar over the years, mainly in those first few years of the iPhone's initial existence. As the techie in the family, I'm constantly referring people to the Genius Bar to find solutions to problems I can't address over the phone. Until now. I will forever give my recommendations to the Apple Store an asterisk. Sad. This is why....

My dad called me up the other day complaining that his ear piece speaker wasn't loud and everyone sounded distant. My initial suspicion was that he needed to clean out the area. I sent him to Google (as I was driving) to look at different ways to clean the speaker area. He tried a few things with no luck. I said: Take the phone to the Apple Store, they should be able to diagnose what's going on. Or so we thought.

The next day, he's off to the Genius Bar. I get a phone call from him and he says the Genius states it's a $199 out-of-warranty repair screen replacement (since the speaker is attached to the screen). The Genius then went on to tell him that Apple would be willing to take the phone as a $220 trade-in towards a new phone. That's what the Genius thought he should do. He then went on to tell him that he shouldn't repair his iPhone 11 because it's soon to be obsoleted and the "4G LTE" networks are being shut down soon. He said it doesn't make sense to a fix a phone that's soon to be obsoleted this year-

Let me interrupt here. On what frickn planet would a GENIUS at the Apple Store tell people that an iPhone 11 is going to be obsolete this year due to the LTE being eliminated?????!!! Have we gone mad? I would expect this at a back alley repair shop trying to make a few bucks off of a 72 year old man, but THE APPLE STORE? Com'n man! That's a new level of incompetence or deception...I can't really tell which it is. It gets better.

- so my dad is left with three options A) Paying $200 to fix the screen B) Trade-in the phone for $220 towards a new $800 phone or C) Take it to a local repair shop to get the screen fixed for about $100. I told my dad to go to a local repair shop and make sure that whatever they fix won't come with annoying popups after the work has been completed and to also verify with them that everything is in working order before the repair (my last 3rd party repair, the guy broke my Face-ID and blamed it on me). I told my dad this because I didn't trust local repair shops. My intuition lied to me.

Today, my dad tells me he's going to the local repair shop to get his screen fixed for $90. He brings the phone in and the tech says that there's nothing wrong with the phone. They just need to do a deep cleaning to restore volume. $35 dollars and 15 minutes later, my dad calls me on the phone and says "I'm calling you from my phone and it's extremely loud!".

That's the story. It's anecdotal, but still shocking. Apple's branding is built on trust and this experience completely negates that trust with me. Not only did the Genius give incorrect, shady, and generally terrible info, he didn't even diagnose the problem! At the beginning of the story, I told you my initial gut reaction to what I thought was wrong: dirty speaker, needs cleaning. Why would someone who spends 8 hours a day fixing Apple products not attempt this first? It's extremely shady and mind boggling. The whole experience was terrible and that's why "I've Lost Faith In The Genius Bar".
Complain in the proper channels instead of making MacRumors forums your personal daily blog?

WoodTableFromIkea

Suspended
Sep 23, 2022
Florida
What type of educational background do the “Geniuses“ need to have to get a job repairing iPhones and Macs at the Apple Store? Generally at engineering companies a technician has to have the equivalent of a two year Associate of Science degree.

Key Qualifications​

• Strong people skills and a knack for problem solving.
  • Ability to maintain composure and customer focus while troubleshooting and solving technical issues.
  • Ability to adhere to a schedule of customer appointments.

Additional Requirements​

• An aptitude for acquiring skills in technical repairs and an eagerness to learn about all Apple products and devices.
  • Excellent prioritization skills and an ability to make decisions quickly.
  • Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
  • Success in team environments, demonstrating shared responsibility and accountability with other team members.
  • Flexibility with your schedule. Your work hours will be based on business needs.
According to the "oficial" job posting at Apple's website.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I was told them same thing when I went to replace my 14PM with a horribly washed out screen. They said they could not replace it even though they could see clearly how bad it was compared to the display models. Eventually one of the managers agreed to replace it. But I didn’t think it was going to be such a hassle.

ACE_350

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2013
I’m a IT Infrastructure Engineer and I don’t have a college degree. But I grew up entrenched in technology, but that’s not what made me a good engineer. You can be taught anything with enough repetition and hands on exposure.

A good tech understands the concept of deductive reasoning and common sense. Actively listening and understanding the problem at hand. I think a lot of people in todays society lack a lot of basic situational awareness. We are more distracted than ever.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
Brought my 2015 MacBook Pro (bought it refurb but not from Apple) with a failing battery that was swelling and making the bottom case expand to my local Apple Store Genius Bar. Previous owner had dropped it and the case was also scratched/dented at three corners, though it worked fine mechanically. I knew I could get the replacement battery for ~ $100, and that Apple charged $200. I thought I'd let Apple do it. The Genius looked at it and considered the damage. He saw the trackpad was being pushed up by the swollen battery too (I hadn't noticed). He said "we'll try to replace the battery, it could take up to 4 or 5 days" I said fine. I got a call 20 hours later, repairs complete. I got the new battery... plus an entirely new bottom case, new trackpad, new keyboard, no more scratches or dents. All for $200.

Recently I was traveling and I had a startup issue I couldn't fix, brought it into the Apple Store in a different city. They took a while, diagnosed the problem and fixed it. No charge.

To paraphrase Lou Reed, I have a busload of faith in the Genius Bar. I guess it all depends on our experiences.

brooksbrewer

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2018
Kansas City, MO
If only people understood what working retail is really like, and maybe we’d see less posts like this. It also helps to understand that I’m pretty sure not everyone at an Apple Store is labeled a “genius”, I believe that’s just a title that some advanced techs have. Air quotes!

It sounds to me like your dad had one negative experience, got his problem rectified, and the only other thing to do is maybe giving that specific store’s leadership a comment regarding your experience rather than posting on an online forum about it. What purpose does this thread serve other than a personal diary for strangers to comment on?

ElRojito

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2012
As a former genius myself, I can attest to the decline in service over the years. In my 7 years the positions became very “throw away.” It went from a decently respected retail job where you garnered a lot of knowledge to an automated process for everything so a monkey can do the job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.