Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Dell, Lenovo, HP, Alienware and I’m sure there’s one more. Razer Blade 15 even Lenovo has 2 SKUs.

That’s a lot of 15” OLED Displays. Here’s another nugget Samsung is making ALL of the 15” OLED Displays !

Hmmmm..... we know Tim Cook likes to buy off the shelf components and Samsung managers know this and they maybe trying to cater to him. Since an order from Apple for a 15” 4K HDR OLED Laptop Display would dwarf everyone else.

Stop that’s a lot of speculation we’ll how about this. Samsung is making or is tooled up to make 11” OLED Panels (they made 10.5” panels but iPad Pros switched to 11”)

Samsung already make 13” OLED Notebook 7 laptop

https://www.oled-info.com/korea-sit...pting-amoled-dispays-future-ipads-and-laptops

I honestly 100% believe that when Intel launches its 10nm 10th Generation CPUs which draw much less power. Apple will use possibly the exact same display in the link below in its new 15” MBP.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/hp-spectre-x360-15-oled-vs-macbook-pro-15

Question is do I wait and blow $4,000 on an Apple OLED MacBook Pro or do I wait for a 4th of July Sale at BestBuy and get a HP X360 for $1500 bucks. ?

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Windows tend to use 15.6" 16:9 displays, whereas Macs use the (superior versatilely IMO) 15.4" 16:10 - so it's always going to be a custom order, and that's even before Apple specifying certain characteristics for their premium panels (look at the length they went to for the iPhone X screen). I doubt we will see OLED in a MBP of the upcoming design cycle (2020-2023) but maybe they will switch for the 2024 redesign? :p In the meantime, mini LED LCD technology should help the 16" pros to achieve HDR from 2021/22.

Reactions: leman

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
When a panel doesn't work out to be approximately 220 DPI then it's not really suitable for the way Apple does HiDPI/Retina rendering in macOS

MetalCores

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Mosinee, WI
I have a problem with all of those other laptops. They run windows... The question is how badly do you need an oled display on a MacBook pro? if its out of your price range why not just wait a bit for the prices to come down? You get one of those other laptops with a oled display and your used to using MacOS your gonna have a bad time.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Windows tend to use 15.6" 16:9 displays, whereas Macs use the (superior versatilely IMO) 15.4" 16:10 - so it's always going to be a custom order, and that's even before Apple specifying certain characteristics for their premium panels (look at the length they went to for the iPhone X screen). I doubt we will see OLED in a MBP of the upcoming design cycle (2020-2023) but maybe they will switch for the 2024 redesign? :p In the meantime, mini LED LCD technology should help the 16" pros to achieve HDR from 2021/22.
Well even Samsung’s Own 6.4” OLED Display used on its biggest Note 9 is a custom order for Apple at 6.5” and a different resolution.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
When a panel doesn't work out to be approximately 220 DPI then it's not really suitable for the way Apple does HiDPI/Retina rendering in macOS
Well, if it was ~330 they could make it @3x scaled... that's sucking up a lot of GPU power just to run the display, though. With how crap pentile looks at lower densities they would probably need at least 3-400ppi (or an RGB stripe oled) to make it look any good to boot!

Well even Samsung’s Own 6.4” OLED Display used on its biggest Note 9 is a custom order for Apple at 6.5” and a different resolution.
For the iPhone X, apple specifically designed the pentile layout to have a larger fill density over Samsung's usual super amoleds - this reduced the 'textured' look that pentile displays have. This is why it's such an expensive component - they could have ordered an off the shelf sheet and cut it into their design, but they didn't. Not to mention the specific colour calibration etc. As above, for a MacBook, you'd need a drastic increase in PPI (and therefore resolution) for a pentile AMOLED to look decent (look how awful early galaxy S smartphone displays appeared).

Reactions: radiologyman

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
I have a problem with all of those other laptops. They run windows... The question is how badly do you need an oled display on a MacBook pro? if its out of your price range why not just wait a bit for the prices to come down? You get one of those other laptops with a oled display and your used to using MacOS your gonna have a bad time.

How badly, very badly. Since last year I completed my transition of all my devices to USB-C.
This year I am transitioning all my devices to OLED. Or as much as I can. An OLED Laptop would go a long way.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This year I am transitioning all my devices to OLED. Or as much as I can
Why? Seems like an artificial goal that has no bearing on productivity. OLED, has both advantages and disadvantages, while it appears to be the future, I wouldn't want to upgrade my products, just for the sake that they all use the same displays - that's just me I guess

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Why? Seems like an artificial goal that has no bearing on productivity. OLED, has both advantages and disadvantages, while it appears to be the future, I wouldn't want to upgrade my products, just for the sake that they all use the same displays - that's just me I guess

Apple Watch = OLED
LG 4K TV with HDMI 2.1 = OLED
New HP Laptop = OLED
Note 9 = OLED
iPhone 11 = OLED
possible 2019 iPad Pro = OLED

OLED is the future period. Maybe MicroLEDs but none are available.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Why? What does OLED give you that you feel compelled to replace all of your technology with OLED products?
It’s pretty. I used the same justification when I proposed to my now fiancé. She’s pretty. I’m a simple guy.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
To be honest, my only reason for wanting OLED on a laptop is no more backlight bleed.

Of course that bleed is, in reality, almost never actually a problem but it being there bugs the crap out of me.

Burn in would too though, so I guess it would just delay the inevitable.

I do love my OLED TV though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.