Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigilisi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2024
Hi there,

I'm pretty sure I'm not the first to reach out with this problem and I do not know if there is any solution other than change the disk. I appreciate any input you can provide and also I would like to know if there is any "bootable" usb solution able to format and mount the disk as with utility disk it is just impossible. Thanks in advance and Happy new year to everybody!

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
Disk utility is present on any retail disk image. Put the installer image on a flash drive & stick it in the Mac’s usb port, Start the Mac holding the option key after the chime which will bring up the boot picker. Choose the usb and the Mac will boot into the installer. Choose utilities at screen top and then disk utility. There it should see your borked drive and you should be able to reformat & partition the drive for fresh macOS install assuming the drive is not broken/dead. If that’s the case, you’ll need to pull the glass off, remove the lcd and then you’ll have access to the drive caddy where you can install a new SSD ready for fresh macOS.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.