Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

draugminaion

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2014
Rhudaur
Assuming the iWatch is real, what would people guess for the announcement date?

Having it announced with the new iPhones and iOS8 release, September probably, would make sense.

But giving developers more time to prepare and adapt their apps for it could make sense too.

Then again, if the iWatch is basically going to be a second today screen, all developers would need to know is how to add today widgets to their apps.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Assuming the iWatch is real, what would people guess for the announcement date?

Having it announced with the new iPhones and iOS8 release, September probably, would make sense.

But giving developers more time to prepare and adapt their apps for it could make sense too.

Then again, if the iWatch is basically going to be a second today screen, all developers would need to know is how to add today widgets to their apps.

I would say announcement early October and release end of October. it's probably going to be compatible with one of the resolutions, so no need for developers to write new code for it. Same as when the mini was introduced, it was running ipad/ipad 2 resolution.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I think HealthKit was primarily the SDK.

Announce and demo it in September with iPhone.
On sale Oct or Nov. Just in time for xmas season, especially if there is a range of models to hit many pricepoints high and low.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
never thought of that.. yes it maybe be announced along with the iphone, best case scenario... OR a separate even in October.

draugminaion

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2014
Rhudaur
I think HealthKit was primarily the SDK.

Announce and demo it in September with iPhone.
On sale Oct or Nov. Just in time for xmas season, especially if there is a range of models to hit many pricepoints high and low.

I figure HealthKit is for MFI partners, companies making fitness bands and such. The iWatch will be one of the HealthKit data providers.

For the iWatch to be a full ecosystem member, developers will need to know about it. For getting their app onto the iWatch, developers already know about Today Widgets. Health app (HealthKit data clients) developers will want to know about the iWatch's sensors, that's still unknown, but there is no hurry to tell developers about that because Apple already has it's own Health app.

Kryckter

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
never thought of that.. yes it maybe be announced along with the iphone, best case scenario... OR a separate even in October.

I would agree, I would expect to see some sort of device announced along side of the new iPhone and launch the same time.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
How much you wanna bet the invitation says....

"You won't believe what we have up our sleeve..."

rixax

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
My New Iwatch

I might upgrade to the black rubber bands

iwatch.JPG

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
will be with the iphone event. because ipod touch will no longer be then.
so from iphone/itunes/ipod we will have this year iphone/itunes/iwatch

October is too full with mac mini/imac/macbook/ipads/apple tv

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.