Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Got to thinking today.. how would they charge the alleged iWatch?

Plugging a watch in seems a bit silly, even with lightning. Taking off a watch and lying it on a charge pad overnight would make more sense.

Assuming I'm not crazy, wouldn't it make sense for Apple to extend wireless charging to other products including the iPhone? I can see the commercial where the actor puts his phone and watch on the charge pad (or padless WiTricity/Powercast type tech!) at the end of a day.

Personally, wireless charging isn't that big of a deal to me, but thinking about the iWatch and the big strips on the back of the iPhone 6 made me wonder...

:apple:

WiTricity/Powercast explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vWq3R2hl_5A

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
That'd be pretty handy. Maybe it'll be able to suck the juice from nearby android users. :D

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013

Plugging a watch in seems a bit silly, even with lightning. Taking off a watch and lying it on a charge pad overnight would make more sense.

Assuming I'm not crazy, wouldn't it make sense for Apple to extend wireless charging to other products including the iPhone? I can see the commercial where the actor puts his phone and watch on the charge pad (or padless WiTricity/Powercast type tech!) at the end of a day.

Personally, wireless charging isn't that big of a deal to me, but thinking about the iWatch and the big strips on the back of the iPhone 6 made me wonder...

That would be great if apple were to implement this way of charging. maybe that's what those really thick antenna breaks are for in the iPhone 6 mockups :D

makerleone

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
USA
wow that is really great thought, i think apple should think about wireless charging technology. its really cool :cool:

PFKMan23

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2012
I would hope that the iPhone would have wireless charging, but if the rumored iWatch is the thing that gets it started, so be it. I just hope the dock isn't too outrageously priced for the iPhone

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Well you have to think about the disadvantages of wireless charging. A big one I can think of is efficiency. It would take a lot longer to charge an iPhone with its much larger battery.

asharahmed

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2014

I think that Wireless Charging is a gimmick and I won't use it personally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.