Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hikeNM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hello all,

I use several computers at different times, when using iWeb. It's always been a hassle to copy and move the Domain file when switching between computers.

It hit me the other day that it might be possible to move the Domain to my Dropbox folder. It would seem that whenever I sit down at any of my computers, then the Domain would already have been updated since Dropbox updates automatically.

Anybody see any problems with that idea?

Thanks in advance.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
That's essentially why Dropbox was made, to solve problems like that. Of course, you'll want to backup regularly (could use a sub folder in Dropbox).

You aren't using Dropbox to host the website?

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
It hit me the other day that it might be possible to move the Domain to my Dropbox folder. It would seem that whenever I sit down at any of my computers, then the Domain would already have been updated since Dropbox updates automatically.

Unless I'm wrong, this means the domain must be in the dropbox folder and therefore can't be in its usual location (user/application support etc etc). Can you 'point' iWeb to save to a different location?

Why can't dropbox be pointed to keep various folders on your Mac syncd rather than just the Dropbox folder?

hikeNM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Unless I'm wrong, this means the domain must be in the dropbox folder and therefore can't be in its usual location (user/application support etc etc). Can you 'point' iWeb to save to a different location?

That was gonna be my next question. How do I point iWeb to where the Domain is after I've moved it. I've got a bad feeling that if the Domain isn't in user/application support folder, then iWeb will just create a new Domain.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Why can't dropbox be pointed to keep various folders on your Mac syncd rather than just the Dropbox folder?

Because the idea is that on other computers with Dropbox, those files will appear in the Dropbox folder. If what you suggested were to happen, there'd be security issues, as on other computers the synced content would have to be placed elsewhere on the hard drive rather than just the Dropbox folder.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
Because the idea is that on other computers with Dropbox, those files will appear in the Dropbox folder. If what you suggested were to happen, there'd be security issues, as on other computers the synced content would have to be placed elsewhere on the hard drive rather than just the Dropbox folder.

There are a lot of syncs that work that way. SugarSync does. There's absolutely no security issue with it, DropBox just chose the simpler method.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
That was gonna be my next question. How do I point iWeb to where the Domain is after I've moved it. I've got a bad feeling that if the Domain isn't in user/application support folder, then iWeb will just create a new Domain.

You can use a little program called "Drop Anywhere" to create symlinks to the data stored anywhere on your computer. It works great. You can search the Dropbox forums to find the link... one of the regulars on those forums wrote the software.

thecounthahaha

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
Would a symlink of the file do the same thing/work?

Leave the domain file where it is, create a symlink of the original to dropbox, and a symlink of the symlink to the other computer's domain file location?

Then whenever one is updated the others are updated too?

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Would a symlink of the file do the same thing/work?

Leave the domain file where it is, create a symlink of the original to dropbox, and a symlink of the symlink to the other computer's domain file location?

Then whenever one is updated the others are updated too?

Just use Drop Anywhere on both computers. It will take care of creating the symlinks and moving the files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.