Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joedec

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
First off, I have Yosemite upgrade hidden in App Store, I have all the iWork applications hidden in the App Store.

However, I get this message every day from each iWork application hawking iWork/Yosemite updates. Of course to take this update you must take the Yosemite update. This particular machine is not in plan to run Yosemite.

This breaks my workflow with a message the user has to acknowledge before moving on.

Apple has clearly crossed the line with this complete disregard for the user desktop, ask me once OK, give me a button to never ask again, even better.

This repeated nagging is just totally unacceptable, even MS never pushed that hard.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 1.10.05 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 1.10.05 PM.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 458

hunt2013

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
I just switched back to Mavericks from dealing with Yosemite and this is something I noticed. Is there not anyway to stop these?

joedec

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
I just switched back to Mavericks from dealing with Yosemite and this is something I noticed. Is there not anyway to stop these?

I wish, I suspected they would die after some amount of iterations, but so far no joy.

I was hoping someone might find a way, a hack, to make them go away. I also tried disabling System Preferences/App Store updates completely and no change. These are something they imbedded in the iWork Suite.

Last edited:

Xeridionix

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2015
I haven't personally tried this but it's just an idea, are you able to block the iWork apps from connecting to the Internet with the Firewall or something like Little Snitch? Might be worth looking into.

joedec

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
I haven't personally tried this but it's just an idea, are you able to block the iWork apps from connecting to the Internet with the Firewall or something like Little Snitch? Might be worth looking into.

I thought about that too, tomorrow when it does it again I'll disable network access, see what happens.

Although I wonder if its that smart, I'll bet they hardcoded it, just checks revision and time of day. Since we know they disregard the App Store and System Preferences, not a lot of thought went into this code.

joedec

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
Well it appears they query the network, but the popup happens regardless. Note that in the Pages example the WiFi is off.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 8.19.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 8.19.20 PM.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 342
  • Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 8.17.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 8.17.25 PM.png
    179.5 KB · Views: 495

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
First off, I have Yosemite upgrade hidden in App Store, I have all the iWork applications hidden in the App Store.

However, I get this message every day from each iWork application hawking iWork/Yosemite updates. Of course to take this update you must take the Yosemite update. This particular machine is not in plan to run Yosemite.

This breaks my workflow with a message the user has to acknowledge before moving on.

Apple has clearly crossed the line with this complete disregard for the user desktop, ask me once OK, give me a button to never ask again, even better.

This repeated nagging is just totally unacceptable, even MS never pushed that hard.

School environment, all Mac's are on 10.9. Seeing this message pop up every single class is the worst. I hate it.

joedec

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
School environment, all Mac's are on 10.9. Seeing this message pop up every single class is the worst. I hate it.

I keep reporting via the iWork feedback links, I'd like to automate a feedback report for each instance of the popup :mad:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/keynote.html
http://www.apple.com/feedback/numbers.html
http://www.apple.com/feedback/pages.html

It's time consuming and they don't allow attachments, but its worth a try for all to respond though this mechanism.

jamesjaan

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2014
I wish, I suspected they would die after some amount of iterations, but so far no joy.

I was hoping someone might find a way, a hack, to make them go away. I also tried disabling System Preferences/App Store updates completely and no change. These are something they imbedded in the iWork Suite.

It seems that way. I recently went back to Mavericks but didn't not reinstall iWork (I like it a lot and would like to use it, but don't trust it following file extension changes over the years)

I don't get any reminders since going back to Mavericks. It must be in the App rather than the App Store.

joedec

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
It seems that way. I recently went back to Mavericks but didn't not reinstall iWork (I like it a lot and would like to use it, but don't trust it following file extension changes over the years)

I don't get any reminders since going back to Mavericks. It must be in the App rather than the App Store.

You're right, it is the application, not the App Store. However, I sort of wish it was the App Store so I could stop it, by hiding a purchase update messages are suppose to go away.

PS I have issues with the file changes also, iWorks 9 doesn't have this behavior but its been left out in the cold for file support.

jamesjaan

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2014
You're right, it is the application, not the App Store. However, I sort of wish it was the App Store so I could stop it, by hiding a purchase update messages are suppose to go away.

PS I have issues with the file changes also, iWorks 9 doesn't have this behavior but its been left out in the cold for file support.

I wouldn't mind the changes so much, nor that it's a closed file format, if:

1. Pages were as widespread as Word such that the format is the default for most people doing word processing.

2. The file changes were incremental -- and that you could then open older .pages files with new versions of Pages (which you can't) as you can with Word (i.e. you can open a Word 95 file with Word 2011 even if the format has changed somewhat)

Hopefully, now that they are really pushing Pages though iCloud and on the iPad this will mean the file format will stay stable for a while.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica

Out of curiosity, do you have the Yosemite "Free upgrade" ad in the Software Update section of App store hidden as well?

I've been trying to figure out how to suppress that ever since they started it with Mavericks.

joedec

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
Out of curiosity, do you have the Yosemite "Free upgrade" ad in the Software Update section of App store hidden as well?

I've been trying to figure out how to suppress that ever since they started it with Mavericks.

Yes the Yosemite Free Upgrade is also hidden.

joedec

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
Interesting new information. I got curious about whether iWork apps on Yosemite are opening connections to configuration.apple.com. So I installed Little Snitch on my 10.10.2 Beta 6 (which BTW takes all the Apple updates) and low and behold, that query also happens there.

I have a problem with why they are phoning home. These applications update via the App Store, the user grants the App Store permission. Seems what we have here is an application checking configuration disregarding the users preferences.

Maybe its time to file a bug (or pass this finding along to the Inquirer).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 7.14.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 7.14.01 PM.png
    340 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
I would assume you could bypass this by manually bumping your apps version to match the current version?

joedec

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
What? I meant editing the info.plist not actually updating.

Good idea, perhaps I don't completely understand how these things work. I used Xcode to modify /Applications/Keynote.app/Contents/Info.plist changing 6.2.2 to 6.5.2 as follows.

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>6.5.2</string>

However when I start Keynote it crashes with signature invalid?

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (Code Signature Invalid)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

I noticed there is a version.plist also. These keys seem pertinent, duplicated in Info.plist BTW. An excerpt from 6.5.2 here.

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>6.5.2</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>2119</string>
<key>SourceVersion</key>
<string>2119000000000000</string>

Last edited:

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
Yes the Yosemite Free Upgrade is also hidden.

Can I ask how you managed that? This screen has led to many of our end users upgrading before we officially clear the OS for use, which often leads to many trouble calls.

This is the screen I'm talking about for reference.

Attachments

• gS2D2.jpg
    gS2D2.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 348

joedec

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
Can I ask how you managed that? This screen has led to many of our end users upgrading before we officially clear the OS for use, which often leads to many trouble calls.

This is the screen I'm talking about for reference.

If you Ctrl-click on the Free Upgrade or Download button it gives you the option to hide it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.