Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
I purchased an iWork family packet of (5). I've used the option twice, once for me and once for my husband's Mac Mini on Snow Leopard. Now he has a Mac Mini (late 2012) where Sierra is becoming his new challenge.

When I tried to add iWork to Sierra, I was asked for a User Name and Password. I don't remember using a User Name and Password the other two times, however, I could be wrong.

Just wondering if anyone has had this same thing happen, and if the task was completed, how did you do it?

To what set of user name and password might Sierra/iWork be referring ?

Patt

Thanks for your wisdom...

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
They have been free for quite awhile, since Mavericks I think (?). However you may still need to sign into the app store the first time you use them on a different computer. The password and username should be the same as your Apple ID.

Reactions: Patth9

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
They have been free for quite awhile, since Mavericks I think (?). However you may still need to sign into the app store the first time you use them on a different computer. The password and username should be the same as your Apple ID.
Only with a new Mac.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I thought they were included for free if you upgraded to Mavericks or newer? And I also thought that you could upgrade to a new(er) version of MacOS for free if you are running 10.6.x or newer (provided that your computer is compatible).

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
iWork was initially sold as a suite for $79, then later at $19.99 per app on OS X and $9.99 per app on iOS. Apple announced in October 2014 that iOS devices purchased from September 2014 onwards and OS X computers purchased from October 2014 onwards, whether new or refurbished, are eligible for a free download of all three iWork apps. iWork for iCloud, which also incorporates a document hosting service, which is free to all holders of an iCloud account. Then, in April, 2017, they released the suite free for macOS and iOS.

Reactions: Boyd01

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Apple announced in October 2014 that iOS devices purchased from September 2014 onwards and OS X computers purchased from October 2014 onwards, whether new or refurbished, are eligible for a free download of all three iWork apps.

I wonder if they are actually enforcing that? I added 16gb RAM and a SSD to my 2012 base mini and upgraded it from Mountain Lion to Sierra. Pretty certain these apps were included in the upgrade, but I gave the computer to my daughter's family so I can't confirm. I have another machine on Mountain Lion that I plan to upgrade soon, so I guess I'll find out then (although I don't use those apps so it doesn't matter much ;) )

Reactions: Patth9

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Well, you were correct, it was the (adaim) name and correct password, but not until I clicked on the "Guest User" option "Users and Groups" that it WORKED!. I call it MAGIC, honestly.

When the CD opened up, I saw features that I hadn't seen when I first opened it up a couple of years ago. Now my dear husband can have the video tell him what to do, rather than me. I'm sure it will do a much better job.

I know there are free single Pages, Keynotes, and Numbers, I ever downloaded the Pages, BUT, it seems there are no more Numbers and Keynotes offered, because these last two never downloaded.

This is my first time contack with Sierra, not sure I like it. Don't like having my letters etc. deposited where "IT" want it i.e. "All My Files."

Anyway,
Boyd01, you gave me ideas and boosted my determination.
Many Thanks.
Trish

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.